Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pickles

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
genou
Lemon Quarter

Pickles

Postby genou » August 28th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I finished a jar of pickle today, and the recipe is really good - https://www.simonmajumdar.com/fiery-hot-lime-pickle . Still have other jars to eat, but when ( note not if ) I make it again I think I'll try cutting the limes into smaller pieces.

Any other tried-that-and-liked-it pickles out there?

His other recipes look interesting but I have not gotten round to trying any yet.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Re: Pickles

Postby johnstevens77 » August 28th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Thanks, it looks like a good recipe so I printed it out. However, even though I have all the ingredients in stock, apart from the limes, I will not be able to get around to making it for a while, if then. We are overloaded with pickles and chutneys and I am the only one who eats them very occaisionaly. Also we have a glut of damsons this year, the branches are drooping with the weight, I made jam, jelly, gin, liqueur, several kilos bottled, some frozen and have some in the freezer to make apple and damson jelly when the bramleys are ready, probably in a week or two. We are eating damson compote daily and my wife even asked me to make a damson tart! No problem but I know that she will only eat a small slice and then the rest will be for me to finish and I don't like soggy two day old pastry. The crumble went down well though.

Sorry for wandering off topic.

john

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » August 29th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Delia's Spiced Damson Chutney is a favourite here

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... on-chutney

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 30th, 2020, 8:11 pm

tsr2 wrote:Delia's Spiced Damson Chutney is a favourite here

Yes, I already printed that out to make today but as it was such a nice day, we worked 6 hours in the garden instead.

john

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » August 31st, 2020, 11:35 am

tsr2 wrote:Delia's Spiced Damson Chutney is a favourite here

That looks a nice one. In a similar vein is this - https://wanderlustandlipstick.com/blogs ... m-chutney/

Which I can confirm is good.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 31st, 2020, 10:48 pm

Well, I made and screwed up the damson chutney today! Every other chutney I have made is ready when the wooden spoon leaves a trail when drawn across the bottom of the pan,which is what I did but when I came to fill the jars I realised that it was overcooked, in fact like toffee! I checked the recipe and it says that when a spoon is drawn across the SURFACE of the chutney and no vinegar fills the depression, then it is ready. Hey ho! I emptied it back into the pan and let it down with boiling water before bottling it again, we shall see in three months.
Talking of greengages, we have two damson trees that we planted 5 years ago as one damson and one greengage, at least that is what the tickets said, turns out that they are both damsons.

john

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 31st, 2020, 11:22 pm

Okay, so what's the difference between chutneys (which peeps in the thread talk about) and pickle (thread title)?

Being a bit of a prole I quite like that pickle sold by Richard Branson...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 1st, 2020, 9:53 am

Mike4 wrote:Okay, so what's the difference between chutneys (which peeps in the thread talk about) and pickle (thread title)?

Being a bit of a prole I quite like that pickle sold by Richard Branson...

Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's etymological: everything interesting in our food comes from somewhere. Pickle is of anglo-french derivation, whereas Chutney is anglo-indian.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » September 1st, 2020, 10:41 am

johnstevens77 wrote:Talking of greengages, we have two damson trees that we planted 5 years ago as one damson and one greengage, at least that is what the tickets said, turns out that they are both damsons.

john

That's a bit unfortunate.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » September 1st, 2020, 12:57 pm

I envisage a cartoon, of a man approaching a tree carrying an axe, with the caption, "A damson in distress..."

Rearrange as necessary.. "COAT I'LL MY GET."

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » September 2nd, 2020, 11:37 am

[quote="Mike4"]Okay, so what's the difference between chutneys (which peeps in the thread talk about) and pickle (thread title)?

I suppose that pickles are uncooked and preserved in vinegar and chutneys are cooked. I.E. pickled onions and all those coloured Middle Eastern vegetables that one sees in Lebanese restaurants. Certainly in my previous job the indian cooks made a wide variety of pickles for the family*, favourites were pickled loomi (dried limes), fresh limes and a mixed pickle. Various spices were used like onion seeds cumin seeds and coriander seeds but always a mix of water and vinegar.
* I was executive chef of the large kitchen (130 cooks) in the house of a Saudi multi billionaire. I had 13 different nationalities working for me, mostly Indians and Lebanese but also Filipinos and Europeans plus a Japanese master chef and a very good Chinese chef.

john

Return to “Food”