Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Handheld vacuum cleaner

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Handheld vacuum cleaner

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 21st, 2020, 4:30 pm

Not sure where (else) to post this. It's not a DAK 'cos it invites discussion.

Some years ago I bought a handheld vacuum cleaner, very similar to https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7066676 . Very easy to use, but did very little: sounded and behaved very feebly within a minute of starting. So I found I had to help it along, and it lost the big advantage over lugging the old upright cleaner up and down stairs, etc. It went to the tip when I moved house.

But the big old upright doesn't do much either. The prospect of using it is so depressing that it rarely gets used (perhaps in part 'cos it needs to be held together with duct tape or similar). And most of its tools are lost: there's just the one nozzle available. So my stairs remain in a woeful state.

Bearing in mind that this is just for stairs and small miscellaneous jobs (the roomba does the big areas), is there such a thing as a vacuum cleaner that'll do a decent job without being a major chore? Ideally let me pension off the old upright, as I envisaged when I got the dustwannabuster. Light enough to count as a hand tool but with the power to clean?

And what do I gain if I buy a so-called wet&dry? Will that lap up a water/dirt/cleaner residue after scrubbing something in the kitchen?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Handheld vacuum cleaner

Postby genou » August 21st, 2020, 4:46 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:is there such a thing as a [handheld] vacuum cleaner that'll do a decent job without being a major chore? Ideally let me pension off the old upright, as I envisaged when I got the dustwannabuster. Light enough to count as a hand tool but with the power to clean?

We have a Bissell thing, that rarely gets used since we got a Dyson, precisely because it lacks oomph. I hear Gtech are Ok as well, but not used them.

UncleEbenezer wrote:And what do I gain if I buy a so-called wet&dry? Will that lap up a water/dirt/cleaner residue after scrubbing something in the kitchen?

Is this a separate question? you aren't going to find a handheld W&D, AFAIK.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 21st, 2020, 4:52 pm

I've yet to find a battery handheld that really does the job. We were given an expensive Dyson, and it just wasn't in the same league as even a poor plug-in. :(

Last year somebody obligingly nicked our Dyson plug-in upright, and we bought something called a Shark instead. https://sharkclean.co.uk/product/shark- ... lsrc=aw.ds. Best thing we've had in ages. Yes, it's corded, but so lightweight that it's actually no trouble carrying it up the stairs, and if even that's not light enough, you can detach the wheels and stuff to make it lighter still. Tools are quick to attach, which is more than some can say.

No, we'd never heard of them either, but it seems that Shark is eating Dyson's breakfast in North America. Proper ergonomic thinking. Triffic. We wouldn't go back to our handheld now.

BJ
Last edited by bungeejumper on August 21st, 2020, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 21st, 2020, 4:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Not sure where (else) to post this. It's not a DAK 'cos it invites discussion.

Some years ago I bought a handheld vacuum cleaner, very similar to https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7066676 . Very easy to use, but did very little: sounded and behaved very feebly within a minute of starting. So I found I had to help it along, and it lost the big advantage over lugging the old upright cleaner up and down stairs, etc. It went to the tip when I moved house.

But the big old upright doesn't do much either. The prospect of using it is so depressing that it rarely gets used (perhaps in part 'cos it needs to be held together with duct tape or similar). And most of its tools are lost: there's just the one nozzle available. So my stairs remain in a woeful state.

Bearing in mind that this is just for stairs and small miscellaneous jobs (the roomba does the big areas), is there such a thing as a vacuum cleaner that'll do a decent job without being a major chore? Ideally let me pension off the old upright, as I envisaged when I got the dustwannabuster. Light enough to count as a hand tool but with the power to clean?

And what do I gain if I buy a so-called wet&dry? Will that lap up a water/dirt/cleaner residue after scrubbing something in the kitchen?

We've had a Dyson:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyson-Handheld-Vacuums-74-2-27-2/dp/B07ZZGTG5V/ref=sr_1_15?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Handheld+Vacuums&qid=1598025211&refinements=p_4%3ADyson&s=kitchen-appliances&sr=1-15&ts_id=3147731

for a few years and it's pretty good. Not cheap tho' :shock:

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 21st, 2020, 5:03 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I've yet to find a battery handheld that really does the job. We were given an expensive Dyson, and it just wasn't in the same league as even a poor plug-in. :(

Last year somebody obligingly nicked our Dyson plug-in upright, and we bought something called a Shark instead. https://sharkclean.co.uk/product/shark- ... lsrc=aw.ds . Best thing we've had in ages. Yes, it's corded, but so lightweight that it's actually no trouble carrying it up the stairs, and if even that's not light enough, you can detach the wheels and stuff to make it lighter still. Tools are quick to attach, which is more than some can say.

No, we'd never heard of them either, but it seems that Shark is eating Dyson's breakfast in North America. Proper ergonomic thinking. Triffic. We wouldn't go back to our handheld now.

BJ

Interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. Though the pics on that page shows them using it two-handed, which doesn't leave a free hand for tasks like picking up a pair of shoes to do under them (finding space to move all the shoes in advance being one of those jobs that's simple but psychologically offputting).

On the subject of corded cleaners, I was thinking https://ao.com/product/sm550ac-hoover-j ... 76-58.aspx looked like a possible compromise. One third of the price of yours, but again uncertainty over how easy it is to use.

As for Dyson - bargepole. An ex- of mine once had one, and the stench of hype was enough.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 21st, 2020, 5:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Not sure where (else) to post this. It's not a DAK 'cos it invites discussion.

The small vacuum cleaner is BLACK+DECKER 10.8V Dustbuster.

I have a similar (same shape) Makita vacuum cleaner for the car that takes 18V batteries, so more powerful, but nowhere near enough for a general house hoover.

Vacuum cleaners are a pain in the proverbial. I've come to the conclusion that, when choosing one, you should already be checking on availability of replacement filters and tubes. We had one where we extended its life for many years by buying replacement parts from Amazon. Another, brilliant cleaner, where it seemed to disappear from the planet (Princess Turbo boost).

Whatever you get, go for the most powerful model you can find. If cordless, stick to well-known brands. There may be 36/40V models, but check out the company and make sure you can always get replacement batteries.

Steve

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 21st, 2020, 5:54 pm

I have a Gtech hand held vacuum which is great, good suction, easy to change heads and four hour recharge time. No complaints at all. Mind you I seem to attract vacuum cleaners, at the moment I have 14, all in working order. Some I've bought, others just seem to appear, I keep the family well stocked but my supply never seems to diminish. I put this down to the fact that OH refuses to relinquish anything with a motor. People who declare that their vacuum cleaner has ceased to work and have bought a new one and are in the process of taking old one to the skip are met with cries of "I'll take it off your hands". He's cannibalised many a worn out vacuum cleaner to resurect another machine. Keeps him happy I suppose and as a friend said "could be worse he could be into fridges".

R6

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 31st, 2020, 8:35 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I've yet to find a battery handheld that really does the job. We were given an expensive Dyson, and it just wasn't in the same league as even a poor plug-in. :(

I'm really surprised by this comment. I've had a Dyson V8 for a couple of years, and it's far better than any previous vacuum cleaner I've owned.

I must admit I was put off by the price, but I found a seller on eBay that sold refurbished ones for about two thirds of the new price. It was frankly indistinguishable from a new one, and has performed perfectly.

It gets used much more than the plug-in simply because I couldn't abide the hassle of dragging the plug-in round. This one is so light and easy to use (definitely a one-hander) that it's really not a chore at all., It's also very versatile, with various attachments that make it easy to clean lots of different surfaces.

The battery holds its charge well, and I've never yet run out of power while using it (though that may say more about my cleaning régime than the machine!) ;)

So 10/10 as far as I'm concerned.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 31st, 2020, 10:09 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:

I'm really surprised by this comment. I've had a Dyson V8 for a couple of years, and it's far better than any previous vacuum cleaner I've owned.

I must admit I was put off by the price, but I found a seller on eBay that sold refurbished ones for about two thirds of the new price. It was frankly indistinguishable from a new one, and has performed perfectly.

It gets used much more than the plug-in simply because I couldn't abide the hassle of dragging the plug-in round. This one is so light and easy to use (definitely a one-hander) that it's really not a chore at all., It's also very versatile, with various attachments that make it easy to clean lots of different surfaces.

The battery holds its charge well, and I've never yet run out of power while using it (though that may say more about my cleaning régime than the machine!) ;)

So 10/10 as far as I'm concerned.

Seconded. I've done virtually the same except I now own two V8s (one for the house, one for the boat) both bought on eBay as refurbished returns and both indistinguishable from new. So good I've now disposed of the old corded vacuum I had for the house. Battery life is about 15 mins and anyone who needs to hoover for more than 15 mins needs a smaller house :D

One criticism I have of the V8 is the cone filter blocks quite quickly with fine dust and needs a thorough washing out. This might explain why some complain the suction on a V8 is poor, I find it phenomenal with a clean filter. I have a set of three cone filters for each V8 as a result. One word of warning - DON'T wash a cone filter and put it back in the vacuum slightly damp. The V8 will exhaust a beautiful fine mist of water into the air and then burst a blood vessel. Dyson with then send you a new motor FOC if you whine at them about it. DAMHIK.

Edit for pesky spellcheck interfering.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 2nd, 2020, 12:55 am

bungeejumper wrote:Last year somebody obligingly nicked our Dyson plug-in upright, and we bought something called a Shark instead.
BJ

OK, you convinced me. Some more months of living with more places the Roomba can't do than at my previous house, and the limitations of the thirty-year-old Electrolux held together by gaffer tape, and - prompted by my last chance to get cashback on my creditcard, I bought myself a Shark. Not the same model you pointed to, but a similar one that happened to be at a better price at the time (I note the one you pointed to alternates between £170 and £300, so I wouldn't pay the latter).

Today I assembled it and had a play. First off, the kitchen floor, which is laminate. Then the (carpeted) hallway, which is tricky for the roomba 'cos there are lots of steps and thresholds in odd places. Then detach it to do the (also carpeted) stairs. It coped well with those tasks, though by the time I finished the stairs my back wasn't thanking me - and I still have to do the other stairs up to the attic. I might try that with the tools (which I have yet to investigate) instead. Finally, emptying the dust out proved much simpler than it is with the Roomba!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 4th, 2020, 8:56 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Today I assembled it and had a play. First off, the kitchen floor, which is laminate. Then the (carpeted) hallway, which is tricky for the roomba 'cos there are lots of steps and thresholds in odd places. Then detach it to do the (also carpeted) stairs. It coped well with those tasks, though by the time I finished the stairs my back wasn't thanking me - and I still have to do the other stairs up to the attic. I might try that with the tools (which I have yet to investigate) instead. Finally, emptying the dust out proved much simpler than it is with the Roomba!

Using any upright as an upright on the stairs is always a faff, because gravity is against you and you've got to stop the pull of the mains cord from toppling the thing over. I have a vague recollection that when Dyson introduced the rather heavy DC04, somebody's maid tried to sue because it had overbalanced her and sent her sprawling down the stairs. :|

The most practical answer is either (i) to have a very long hose on the vacuum that will allow the tools to reach right to the top of the staircase without the machine itself ever needing to leave the hallway, or (ii) a reasonably light machine that isn't too ergonomically awkward if you do need to carry it. We find that our Shark scores pretty well on both counts. One of the things you'll discover is that you can use the tools with either a short hose ("wand release") or a long long (complete hose release). And being able to control the (considerable) suction power with a sliding valve is pretty jolly handy too, because it stops you from constantly sucking the curtains or the bedclothes into the damn thing! :lol:

Have fun.

BJ

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » December 4th, 2020, 2:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:The most practical answer is either (i) to have a very long hose on the vacuum... or (ii) a reasonably light machine that isn't too ergonomically awkward...

or a central vac system
https://www.greenvac.co.uk/
(not an endorsement)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 4th, 2020, 2:40 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:The most practical answer is either (i) to have a very long hose on the vacuum... or (ii) a reasonably light machine that isn't too ergonomically awkward...

or a central vac system
(not an endorsement)

Err... this thread is supposedly about HAND HELD vacuums!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 4th, 2020, 2:52 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:or a central vac system
(not an endorsement)

LOL, thanks for the giggle. So for only a thousand pounds per room, plus fitting, plus the annual servicing and maintenance, we too can enjoy the freedom of not having to replace our hoovers when they break down. Such a bother. ;)

I rather liked the own-goal disarming honesty of the Sachs website where it said: "People don't necessarily find central vacuums more convenient, because they don't do the vacuum themselves and they don't have to lug a vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs before finally wrestling it back into the closet." Oh yes, that picture of the two small children working on the central system's vacuuming system instead of their parents brought cheer to my very heart. And when they've finished replacing the in-cupboard filters they can come here and top up my whisky.

BJ

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 4th, 2020, 4:47 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:or a central vac system
(not an endorsement)

Our neighbours installed one in their new-build. They gave up on it after a year. I was more than pleased, the exhaust to an outside wall made an infernal racket

--kiloran

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 4th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Either:
* A two speed Henry with a hose extension.....leave the heavy unit on the ground floor, switch to high speed and work your way down the steps OR
* A GTech hand held.
Recommended them both.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 6th, 2020, 9:14 pm

For a space devoid of matter. i recommend a dustpan and palm-size brush.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 7th, 2020, 8:36 am

brightncheerful wrote:For a space devoid of matter. i recommend a dustpan and palm-size brush.

So it's true, nature really does abhor a vacuum?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 7th, 2020, 1:54 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:For a space devoid of matter. i recommend a dustpan and palm-size brush.

So it's true, nature really does abhor a vacuum?

BJ

Well, if the woods are dark and foreboding, and you sense sinister eyes watching your every step ...

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”