Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

National Fish and Chip day, I think.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

National Fish and Chip day, I think.

Postby nimnarb » September 4th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Oooh I would love to be nearby one of my favs, Chez Fred in Westbourne. Anyone in Nottingham area and been to the Cod's Scallops as this was given the top award for 2020. I seem to recall many chippies were mentioned, I think under the London Board several months ago but rarely visit there.

Drooling.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fo ... 44031.html

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: National Fish and Chip day, I think.

Postby scotia » September 4th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Well it was fish and chips tonight - cooked at home. The fish was supplied (frozen) in a box from a major Scottish fishing port.
Note that I managed that part of the story without violating the no-advertising rules.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 4th, 2020, 8:06 pm

scotia wrote:[Note that I managed that part of the story without violating the no-advertising rules.

That’s good as there is no such specific Rule. :arrow:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 4th, 2020, 8:14 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
scotia wrote:[Note that I managed that part of the story without violating the no-advertising rules.

That’s good as there is no such specific Rule. :arrow:

Really? Well that shows how well behaved we all are at the Lemon Fool - but I suppose we all knew that :)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 4th, 2020, 8:26 pm

scotia wrote:Well it was fish and chips tonight - cooked at home. The fish was supplied (frozen) in a box from a major Scottish fishing port.
Note that I managed that part of the story without violating the no-advertising rules.

I get my fish-in-a-box from Birds Eye. You too?

Scott.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 4th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Isn't friday National Fish and Chip Day every Friday night.

I seem to remember Catholics had a rule about no meat on Fridays. I'm not sure about that as I'm not religious or Catholic. Whatever, Fish and Chip shops are always busiest on a Friday.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 4th, 2020, 8:59 pm

sg31 wrote:Isn't friday National Fish and Chip Day every Friday night.

I seem to remember Catholics had a rule about no meat on Fridays. I'm not sure about that as I'm not religious or Catholic. Whatever, Fish and Chip shops are always busiest on a Friday.

I don't want to offend, so lets treat the following remembrance as the bad old days.
I recollect school dinners many (65) years ago which were prepared at a central facility , and distributed around all of the schools in the county in thermally insulated containers. A minority of the schools were Catholic, while we, the majority, were heathens. However the school meals were identical for all - so we all suffered boiled fish on a Friday. It did not make for harmonious relationships with our religious minority.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 4th, 2020, 9:07 pm

swill453 wrote:
scotia wrote:Well it was fish and chips tonight - cooked at home. The fish was supplied (frozen) in a box from a major Scottish fishing port.

I get my fish-in-a-box from Birds Eye. You too?

Scott.

Not quite - but you might have guessed that you were off on the wrong track if I had added that they will also supply fresh live crab in their selection box. Our neighbour had forgotten to indicate that such a delicacy was not required, and was perplexed on how to cope. I think the crab may still be walking his way home.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 4th, 2020, 9:50 pm

I think you misinterpret the 'no adverts' rule.

AIUI there is no problem with the customer of XYZ ltd coming on here and saying "XYZ ltd's f&c are GREAT. That isn't advertising, it's a recommendation from a satisfied customer (assuming they are not being paid to post that!).

The rule is to prevent XYZ ltd themselves coming on here and posting stuff like "we do great f&c, give us a try and 10% off for TLFers mentioning you saw us on here".

Or mebbe a mod will be along shortly to say otherwise....

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 4th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Mike4 wrote:

I think you misinterpret the 'no adverts' rule.

AIUI there is no problem with the customer of XYZ ltd coming on here and saying "XYZ ltd's f&c are GREAT. That isn't advertising, it's a recommendation from a satisfied customer (assuming they are not being paid to post that!).

The rule is to prevent XYZ ltd themselves coming on here and posting stuff like "we do great f&c, give us a try and 10% off for TLFers mentioning you saw us on here".

Or mebbe a mod will be along shortly to say otherwise....

It was actually a bit of subliminal advertising - getting you to work out who the company was - and placing an order. Then i could claim a discount for introducing a new customer :D
But you can take that with a pinch of salt - as I did with my chips.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”