Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Insomniacs

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Insomniacs

Postby Howard » August 31st, 2020, 11:21 pm

scotia wrote:I have found that Test Cricket or Formula 1 on TV is a great way of getting a bit of extra sleep during the day. :)

You are in good company.

Lewis Hamilton, interviewed after yesterday's race where he led , yet again, from start to finish, admitted that as a teenage fan of Formula 1 he used to watch the beginning of a race led by Michael Schumacher and fall asleep, only waking up for the end.

regards

Howard

Link provided for those who are interested :( .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53968606

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 6th, 2020, 4:00 am

No-one has mentioned 4am yet.

Julian F. G. W.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 6th, 2020, 7:27 am

jfgw wrote:No-one has mentioned 4am yet.

Julian F. G. W.

I see her most nights on the way to the bathroom.

GS

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 6th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Howard wrote:
scotia wrote:I have found that Test Cricket or Formula 1 on TV is a great way of getting a bit of extra sleep during the day. :)

You are in good company.

Lewis Hamilton, interviewed after yesterday's race where he led , yet again, from start to finish, admitted that as a teenage fan of Formula 1 he used to watch the beginning of a race led by Michael Schumacher and fall asleep, only waking up for the end.

regards

Howard

I've just woken up to find that Pierre Gasly has won the Grand Prix at Monza. Soundly beating Lewis who came in seventh.

So predictable. :)

Howard

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Howard wrote:
I've just woken up to find that Pierre Gasly has won the Grand Prix at Monza. Soundly beating Lewis who came in seventh.

Howard

Lewis was where he was bwecause of a 10 second stop/go penalty, as a result of entering the pit lane just after it had been closed.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 6th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Howard wrote:
Howard wrote:

You are in good company.

regards

Howard

Howard

I "watched" it on channel 4 plus 1 tonight, with my wife roaring at me "you're sleeping" every time I contentedly dropped off, so I think I actually saw some parts. I liked the demolition of the tyre wall barrier by Leclerc which apparently had a deleterious effect on Hamilton. So I suppose it was a little more exciting than usual - although Bottas seemed determined to make sure that it was not. So I still recommend it to insomniacs.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 7th, 2020, 10:47 am

sg31 wrote:I'm on painkillers for my back, it's deteriorating badly and isn't likely to improve so I have no other option....
Sometimes I can't get to sleep, at other times I drop off but wake at 2 a.m and then spend the rest of the night wide awake....
I'm due back at the pain clinic shortly but I don't think there's much they can do.

Ask the clinic or your GP if Pregabalin (trade name Lyrica etc) - say 2 x 75mg per day - would be worth trying. From personal observation (not on me!) it can be truly remarkable stuff for otherwise intractable pain at bedtime. It is prescription only and a 'controlled drug' but not addictive.
Gabapentin works similarly.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 7th, 2020, 12:45 pm

scotia wrote:
Howard wrote:
Howard wrote:
You are in good company.

regards

Howard

Howard

I "watched" it on channel 4 plus 1 tonight, with my wife roaring at me "you're sleeping" every time I contentedly dropped off, so I think I actually saw some parts. I liked the demolition of the tyre wall barrier by Leclerc which apparently had a deleterious effect on Hamilton. So I suppose it was a little more exciting than usual - although Bottas seemed determined to make sure that it was not. So I still recommend it to insomniacs.

Apologies to others about keeping on the subject of F1 but I don’t know if you saw an amusing incident after the race which is relevant to wakefulness.

It was a moment which could only happen in the time of lockdown.

On Channel 4, David Coulthard and Steve Jones were interviewing Toto Wolff, CEO of the Mercedes team. They appeared to be in the back of the paddock with odd staff passing by pushing bits of F1 equipment and rolling tyres etc.

In the middle of the interview a masked figure in baggy green shorts and cap carrying a water bottle walks past and, slightly to the bemusement of DC and SJ taps Toto on the arm and bumps fists with him.

The interviewers carry on, ignoring the interruption from the ignominious masked figure who presumes such familiarity with the boss.

We viewers, however, woken from our slumber know who it was: Lewis Hamilton walks off, unrecognised.

Who was asleep in the interview? Maybe it was DC and SJ?

regards

Howard

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 7th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Howard wrote:Apologies to others about keeping on the subject of F1

If boredom were a cure for insomnia ...

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 7th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Was chatting to a friend about insomnia the other day, we were having a cup of coffee in her garden and discussing the problem. The postman who was passing at the time apologised for interrupting but asked if we'd ever tried "Rescue Remedy Night". Apparently he used to suffer but since discovering this remedy he now enjoys a good nights sleep. Have sent for some and will let fellow insomniacs know if it's any good.

R6

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » September 7th, 2020, 6:39 pm

I don’t think anyone has yet suggested Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze (as mentioned on TVs Father Ted).

They pointed out that it was “banned in most European countries, so it must be very good”.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 7th, 2020, 8:54 pm

stewamax wrote:Ask the clinic or your GP if Pregabalin (trade name Lyrica etc) - say 2 x 75mg per day - would be worth trying. From personal observation (not on me!) it can be truly remarkable stuff for otherwise intractable pain at bedtime. It is prescription only and a 'controlled drug' but not addictive.
Gabapentin works similarly.

Both are old anti epilepsy drugs. I've been on both at different times for peripheral neuropathy. I spent 2 years as a zombie while they tried me on various anti epileptics to try and control the symptoms I was having. Basically take drug x in increasing doses until it either helps or you get side effects you can't cope with. It was 2 years of hell. It was worth it because we did eventually find something that helps.

Thank you for the suggestion, it's kind of you to take the time to post the idea. I do appreciate it.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 7th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Over the past week or so I have thought that I may have essentially fixed a lot of my insomnia. I have not fully identified everything that makes a difference, but I have good evidence that alcohol makes it worse. (hence I would not recommend Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze) It may be also that I am putting some real effort into losing weight that also helps.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 7th, 2020, 11:00 pm

OK, finished my meal. Time for a double espresso to ensure a good night's sleep.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 8th, 2020, 2:40 am

johnhemming wrote:Over the past week or so I have thought that I may have essentially fixed a lot of my insomnia. I have not fully identified everything that makes a difference, but I have good evidence that alcohol makes it worse. (hence I would not recommend Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze) It may be also that I am putting some real effort into losing weight that also helps.

Hi John
you mentioned somewhere in the past that you measure your SpO2 level
- are you able to do so while you are sleeping?

- sd

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 8th, 2020, 7:00 am

servodude wrote:you mentioned somewhere in the past that you measure your SpO2 level

I haven't tried it.

I use a fitbit which measures my heart rate (and motion). That I use as my primary measure of when I am asleep. It is wrong from time to time. I am currently trying their premium service which is I think a bit expensive for just more data from the same device (£80 per year). That gives me a chart of my heart rate during the night which is interesting.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 8th, 2020, 7:18 am

johnhemming wrote:
servodude wrote:you mentioned somewhere in the past that you measure your SpO2 level

I haven't tried it.

I use a fitbit which measures my heart rate (and motion). That I use as my primary measure of when I am asleep. It is wrong from time to time. I am currently trying their premium service which is I think a bit expensive for just more data from the same device (£80 per year). That gives me a chart of my heart rate during the night which is interesting.

£80 does seem a lot for data that it's already tracking!

I know that a lot of fitbit type devices already are capable of SpO2 tracking and it's very useful in monitoring sleep

- sd

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 8th, 2020, 9:15 am

Rhyd6 wrote:The postman who was passing at the time apologised for interrupting but asked if we'd ever tried "Rescue Remedy Night". Apparently he used to suffer but since discovering this remedy he now enjoys a good nights sleep. Have sent for some and will let fellow insomniacs know if it's any good.

Sounds okay to me, Bach. :lol:

Seriously, although I am gently sceptical about herbal remedies, I've heard good reports of this one, and not just for sleeplessness but for general anxiety. Anything that doesn't involve laboratory chemicals is a good place to start. I also resorted to a Boots nerve tonic at one particularly fraught period of my life, and I was agreeably surprised at the beneficial effect on my sleep patterns.

BJ

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 8th, 2020, 9:33 am

servodude wrote:£80 does seem a lot for data that it's already tracking!

I know that a lot of fitbit type devices already are capable of SpO2 tracking and it's very useful in monitoring sleep

I am thinking of looking to upgrade the measurement device and obviously the more reliable measurements the better.

I do, however, think that an annual charge of £80 is a bit of a try on and that will motivate me to look for alternatives (particularly as fitbit is not that reliable for sleep analysis anyway).

Withings, however, is as far as I can tell useless. They provide an under the mattress sensor which I have found to be approximately zero utility.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 8th, 2020, 11:40 am

johnhemming wrote:
servodude wrote:£80 does seem a lot for data that it's already tracking!

I am thinking of looking to upgrade the measurement device and obviously the more reliable measurements the better.

I do, however, think that an annual charge of £80 is a bit of a try on and that will motivate me to look for alternatives (particularly as fitbit is not that reliable for sleep analysis anyway).

Withings, however, is as far as I can tell useless. They provide an under the mattress sensor which I have found to be approximately zero utility.

Yeah a lot of the sensors try to use motion as a proxy for sleep cycles; which will correlate for a lot of people, but it's still a proxy for
EEG/SpO2/ECG.
There's no reason a tympanic sensor couldn't pick up heart rate through a mattress, but it's going to need good running calibration to cope with rolling and movement (despite that some folk really like the withings system)
Heart rate and SpO2 I do see as being the most useful measurements with current generation home technologies.
Not that they help you get to sleep; but they can give you an indication of why you might be waking, or more usefully if you're not, but are suffering otherwise.

-sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”