Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Enfeeblement

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Enfeeblement

Postby Julian » October 9th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Oh boy. Memories memories. My mother got early-onset arthritis in her teens so I grew up with her having weak hands. One constant throughout my life has been the device she used as far back as the early 1960s to open jars. It is one of the things I made sure to find and keep when my mother died; I even still use it very occasionally (luckily my hands are still reasonably strong). My mother's device was I believe bought in New York in the 1960s and is in a glorious, although now slightly faded and chipped, 1960s yellow colour that very probably matched the colour of the kitchen cabinets at the time!

Anyway, enough nostalgia. I see that similar devices are still available albeit in not quite such "swinging sixties" colours...

This first one seems closest to my mother's complete with the same design of ratchet mechanism...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Kichwit-Adju ... B071V3G23Y

Alternatively this second one seems a more modern take on the same concept...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Swing-Way-Sp ... B071ZQ59J5

- Julian (now sitting with a smile on his face and a 60 year old yellow bottle top opener on his desk in front of him)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 13th, 2020, 9:32 am

Yes, it's amazing how small things can trigger so many memories.
Trying to edit our huge photograph collection at the moment, progress is slow to say the least.

Back to jars..... a problem with all these gadgets, other than the One-Touch we use, is that one still has to grip the jar, whereas the One-Touch grips both lid and jar.........

V8

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 14th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Julian wrote:Oh boy. Memories memories. My mother got early-onset arthritis in her teens so I grew up with her having weak hands. One constant throughout my life has been the device she used as far back as the early 1960s to open jars. It is one of the things I made sure to find and keep when my mother died; I even still use it very occasionally (luckily my hands are still reasonably strong). My mother's device was I believe bought in New York in the 1960s and is in a glorious, although now slightly faded and chipped, 1960s yellow colour that very probably matched the colour of the kitchen cabinets at the time!

Anyway, enough nostalgia. I see that similar devices are still available albeit in not quite such "swinging sixties" colours...

- Julian (now sitting with a smile on his face and a 60 year old yellow bottle top opener on his desk in front of him)

How bizarre. I never thought about it till now, but I do have vague memories of yellow things hanging around the kitchen. I was born in 1961 and probably from the age of eight or so, seemed to become conscious of weird and wonderful horribly coloured plasticky stuff that must have been fashionable at the time. Plastic was all the rage. Oh God, I remember plastic chairs in schools that resulted in hundreds of sweaty bums sticking to them! My Mum gave me loads of old pots, dishes, cups etc when I went to uni, and yes, they were a sickly sort of yellow. Absolutely disgusting and I remember the forced smile of a flatmate when I said that I'd leave them for him. ;)

Funny how styles change. Even at 84, my Mum is still pro-modern furniture (nostalgia for the 60s?) whereas I much prefer the heavy mahogany and oak stuff her parents liked.

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 14th, 2020, 10:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:Oh God, I remember plastic chairs in schools that resulted in hundreds of sweaty bums sticking to them!

Not long ago I notice "ghost" chairs appearing regularly in restaurant re-fits; hard transparent plastic devices that look a bit like glass when new
(https://www.produceshopdesign.com/Desig ... STAL-LIGHT)

I suppose they make the place look bigger when no one is sitting in them
- and make everyone's pink marshmallows look bigger when they are ;)

- sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm

servodude wrote:- and make everyone's pink marshmallows look bigger when they are ;)

- sd

Pink marshmallows plural and with no capital? You're 'avin a laff!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 14th, 2020, 10:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:- and make everyone's pink marshmallows look bigger when they are ;)

- sd

just pre-empting the edit so it looks like what it should ;)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 14th, 2020, 10:38 pm

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

- sd

But [expletive deleted] (plural) are allowed! It's the singular that gets spanked.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 14th, 2020, 10:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Pink marshmallows plural and with no capital? You're 'avin a laff!

But [expletive deleted] (plural) are allowed! It's the singular that gets spanked.

Straying out of DAK territory here
- but I did intend for it to be plural marshmallows for a singular posterior
as in "does my ..... look big in this?" - "Of course it does you're sat in a clear plastic chair!"

- but on consideration, you're correct that the plural plural could also have worked

English she is funny as she is spoke

- sd

Return to “Does anyone know?”