Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Nordic Walking

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Nordic Walking

Postby midnightcatprowl » March 4th, 2017, 11:32 am

I've signed up for a free trial of this in a nothing ventured nothing gained frame of mind. Just wondering if anyone has tried it/does it? Any comments? Is it useful or just another fad?

Background to this is that I'm trying to be more active but being arthritic there are various things I can't do and other things I have to be careful about doing.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Nordic Walking

Postby redsturgeon » March 4th, 2017, 11:38 am

I see groups of people out on my dog walks doing this. It looks like cross country skiing without the skis. I am told it is good for you, giving more upper body workout than just walking while taking some impact off the knees.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 7th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Also, somehow it seems to aid in keeping up a good steady brisk rhythm without slowing the pace, and helps with balance, say if it's a bit slippery, frost, etc.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » March 7th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Well I went to the taster session, tried it out and felt this was something I could do though I need to be in a 'less able' group so I'll have to wait until after Easter when a new group of this type starts, they don't walk so far and they do their walk on flat firm ground which is what I need at the moment.

Only one other person turned up for the taster session, someone who in complete contrast to me obviously walks regularly and walks fast and far. However even she was impressed by the method and surprised by how different it is from ordinary walking and it looked as if she was going to join a more physically competent group straightaway.

Aprilfool62

Postby Aprilfool62 » March 7th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Hi I have been Nordic walking for 6 years now, I go 2/3 times a week. I took it up after I realised my days in the gym were over and I love it......just being outdoors is uplifting. I hope it works out for you.

April

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » April 26th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Just an update to say that the 'less able' Nordic Walking course (politely entitled 'Nordic Fitness' rather than 'less able') has now become available and I'm booked to do the six week starter course starting in early May. I'll report back on progress.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 26th, 2017, 5:34 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:Just an update to say that the 'less able' Nordic Walking course (politely entitled 'Nordic Fitness' rather than 'less able') has now become available and I'm booked to do the six week starter course starting in early May. I'll report back on progress.

There is a certain technique to it, how the shoulders move and what not. You'll probably find a few videos on Youtube too.

CindSein

Postby CindSein » June 7th, 2017, 8:00 am

midnightcatprowl wrote:I've signed up for a free trial of this in a nothing ventured nothing gained frame of mind. Just wondering if anyone has tried it/does it? Any comments? Is it useful or just another fad?

Background to this is that I'm trying to be more active but being arthritic there are various things I can't do and other things I have to be careful about doing.

I think it's quite good. It is an exercise for the complete body. Compared to normal walking, nordic walking helps to burn the calories.
Theses are few of the health benefits of Nordic walking:
1. It keeps you fit and energized when you have an injury
2. It improves your posture
3. Great for cardiopulmonary rehabilitation patients
3. Offloads the lower extremities and loads the upper extremities

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » July 10th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Just reporting back that I completed my 8 week (not 6 weeks as I originally said) Nordic Wellbeing course last week. It has been a very interesting process and we were fortunate in having a very patient and encouraging instructor. Even though this was a 'less able' group she had to cope with very different needs among the participants.

I'm delighted to say that I made more progress than I ever thought possible when I originally signed up. I take my sticks everywhere with me and it means I can now walk confidently around town or if I'm driving along and spot an interesting place to walk I can just set off with confidence to explore as long as there is a fairly even surface to walk on (my arthritic feet are just too uncertain on very uneven ground and it is also too painful).

The instructor urged me to consider graduating to a 'grown up' Nordic Walking Group suggesting the local one which walks the shortest distance on the flattest terrain. They usually walk around the lake in the nearby country park or along the nearby river. I had my doubts as once you are away from the 'start' area there is nowhere to sit down and no way to shortcut back to the start area (well there is but it would be a long swim!) but she insisted so much that it was now within my ability that I went by myself late one afternoon when it was cooler and tried it out. My thinking was that if necessary I'd just have to sit on the grass for an hour or so until I could make it the rest of the way and I decided not to think too much about how I'd get back on my feet once I'd sat down! Anyway to my great delight I was able to walk all the way round in one go. It was quite an effort but it was okay and I'm now joining the 'walk' that uses that route.

One issue which has come up for me is that I've used a walking stick for years because of my tendency to trip. Using the stick reduces the trips and falls but seems to be extra tiring because of the pressure on one hand/arm and it seems to help you hobble without tripping rather than helping you to walk better. Using the poles gives you a much better feeling of equal weight distribution which in turn gives you the confidence to stand straight and step out rather than sort of hunching over a walking stick. I notice a change in the way I walk even when going very short distances without the poles.

Rhionnach

Postby Rhionnach » November 21st, 2017, 9:51 pm

I took up Nordic walking after I broke my neck in a car crash last year. I was sitting in the house one day when I saw a report on BBC Breakfast news where one of the reporters tried out a new sport. This time it was Nordic walking. And I realised that here was something I could do. I wasn't allowed to run due to vibration travelling up the spine but walking was allowed, even encouraged.

I am now 100% again and am back to running but I still do Nordic walking as well.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 23rd, 2017, 9:35 pm

I was listening to this ebook about this hippyish Finn cycling in Sahara and India and all over the place. He was in Sardinia pedalling hard over a hill and saw a chap nordic walking. By instinct he assumed anyone doing that must be a Finn so automatically started talking to him in Finnish. Itwas a Swiss guy on holliday who had joint trouble and was nordic walking on his doctor's orders.

My mother does it on her way to the library.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”