Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers

Postby poundcoin » March 21st, 2017, 8:08 pm

Must admit haven't seen many of the newer US based episodes but loved watching Edd China's fixes in the workshops on Wheeler Dealers.
Unfortunately due to differences on content with the new production company , he is leaving the series .

His explanation here :

https://youtu.be/8IB15T1LYiY

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers

Postby redsturgeon » March 22nd, 2017, 8:02 am

poundcoin wrote:Must admit haven't seen many of the newer US based episodes but loved watching Edd China's fixes in the workshops on Wheeler Dealers.
Unfortunately due to differences on content with the new production company , he is leaving the series .

His explanation here :

https://youtu.be/8IB15T1LYiY

He's probably fed up being the poor so and so who does all the work!

John

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » March 22nd, 2017, 8:41 am

redsturgeon wrote:

John

Maybe but think he is leaving because the new production co wanted less of the workshop footage .

A Facebook wag suggested big Edd would make a good , new Dr. Who and at the same time fix the brakes and suspension on theTardis :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 22nd, 2017, 9:00 am

poundcoin wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

Maybe but think he is leaving because the new production co wanted less of the workshop footage .

A Facebook wag suggested big Edd would make a good , new Dr. Who and at the same time fix the brakes and suspension on theTardis :)

Yes now I've seen the video it is entirely understandable and I admire his principles, I hope he has made enough money on the series to do his own thing now. From the sound of it he should be as rich as the Top Gear team.

John

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » April 2nd, 2017, 11:14 pm

Bit of a shame that he's leaving, but to be honest I I don't get any channels that show WDs (we're Freesat, with limited Freeview) so any I have watched in recent years have been on Youtube since getting a youtube capable TV.

I always felt that WD was the best of the 'let's fix up an old car' type programmes, mainly becuase they actually focussed on what Edd was doing and how he was doing it. Granted Mike Brewer is a gobby irritating **** but the beauty of Youtube is you can fast foward his inane yakking. In comparison, Car SOS is ok, but while Tim what's his face is probably marginally less irritating than Brewer the stupid things he does while sourcing parts seem to be aimed at entertaining 9 year olds and while they give reasonable descriptions of problems they don't show you things actually being done in any great degree of detail. For the love of cars has the potential to be much better as Philip Glenister is not an irritating fool, however the workshop detail with Ant Anstead is almost non-existent and the whole programme is more of a documentary on the history of the vehicle in question; interesting to note that Anstead is China's replacent in the new WD's with less workshop detail. Absoluetly mad that they are reducing theworkshop component, lowest common denominator TV.

On the plus side one hopes that Edd will be free to do a new programme with more build/repair detail, hopefully without some loud idiot hogging half the screentime. We live in hope.

BH

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 9th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Snorvey wrote:New mechanic, Ant Anstead, seems quite pleasant and knowledgeable. Just watching him refurbish a Cosworth turbo and I liked the way he presented it.

Mike is still the same though.

I watched a few episodes over Xmas when I was convalescing. I didn't manage to find any without Edd though - they all seemed to be years old repeats so obviously I'm not checking the correct channel!

Edd also pops up on Project Binky on utube occasionally.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » January 9th, 2018, 7:01 pm

bionichamster wrote:Bit of a shame that he's leaving, but to be honest I I don't get any channels that show WDs (we're Freesat, with limited Freeview) so any I have watched in recent years have been on Youtube since getting a youtube capable TV.

BH

This will get you the 'Discovery channel' which will get you 'Wheeler Dealers'. You'll need to check listings for the transmission times.
Edit: Flashplayer will need to be activated.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Snorvey wrote:New mechanic, Ant Anstead, seems quite pleasant and knowledgeable. Just watching him refurbish a Cosworth turbo and I liked the way he presented it. Mike is still the same though.

Yep, the new mechanic is good as well, and I suspect that Mike is incapable of change in any event. Love it.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » January 9th, 2018, 10:41 pm

panamagold wrote:
bionichamster wrote:Bit of a shame that he's leaving, but to be honest I I don't get any channels that show WDs (we're Freesat, with limited Freeview) so any I have watched in recent years have been on Youtube since getting a youtube capable TV.

BH

This will get you the 'Discovery channel' which will get you 'Wheeler Dealers'. You'll need to check listings for the transmission times.
Edit: Flashplayer will need to be activated.

Cheers, although 'Quest' appeared on the Freesat line-up a few months ago and regularly shows older WD's so I watched a few over xmas.

BH

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » January 10th, 2018, 7:11 am

Trawling through the posts on this Ed China topic, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Grease Monkey Garage Ltd of Bracknell, Berkshire run by Ed China, and the workshop featured in Wheeler Dealers, was placed into liquidation on 5th August 2016 - for example see ...

Grease Junkie Garage Limited - Liquidation report
http://portbfs.co.uk/blog/articles/grease-junkie-garage-limited-liquidation-report

While Ed China is indeed an inventitive and brillant mechanic when it comes to anything with wheels on, in terms of the nuts and bolts of running a successful business then he's apparently not so skilled. When Ed China lost his Bracknell workshop 18-month ago the production company responsible for making Wheeler Dealers had very little option but to scale back the detailed indoors restoration filming, involving Ed China, that was such a feature of the programme. To be blunt, Ed China without his own dedicated workshop found himself surplus to the programme's filming requirements - hence, his reason to quit.

martint123
Lemon Pip

Postby martint123 » August 4th, 2018, 5:41 pm

DrFfybes wrote:

Edd also pops up on Project Binky on utube occasionally.

I've just gone through 16, 17 and 18 this afternoon and he had a couple of walkon parts.

martint123
Lemon Pip

Postby martint123 » October 3rd, 2018, 11:50 am

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”