Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

AIC website performance section

Closed-end funds and OEICs
nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

AIC website performance section

Postby nmdhqbc » August 4th, 2021, 3:03 pm

I've copied the last post from a previous off topic part of a thread below...

nmdhqbc wrote:
DavidM13 wrote:You are going to have to trust me. I promise, the user experience is at the forefront of everything we are doing on the data and tools.

i've been burnt too many times to trust on this topic. this user does not want any functionality to be lost. user experience usually translates to making it easier for new users who are not of the mind to explore and work things out. which usually results in simplification and losing of functionality. and they normally add in some random appearance changes which take getting used to but add nothing. not what i want for sure.

i won't reply any further on this as we're veering off topic.

So today i see that the AIC website has changed the appearance of its performance chart. It seems like there is no longer able to compare open ended funds. Very disappointing. Please tell me this is a temporary glitch while they make the change? I don't want to be correct in my prediction above about losing functionality.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: AIC website performance section

Postby monabri » August 4th, 2021, 7:29 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:I've copied the last post from a previous off topic part of a thread below...

nmdhqbc wrote:
DavidM13 wrote:You are going to have to trust me. I promise, the user experience is at the forefront of everything we are doing on the data and tools.

i've been burnt too many times to trust on this topic. this user does not want any functionality to be lost. user experience usually translates to making it easier for new users who are not of the mind to explore and work things out. which usually results in simplification and losing of functionality. and they normally add in some random appearance changes which take getting used to but add nothing. not what i want for sure.

i won't reply any further on this as we're veering off topic.

So today i see that the AIC website has changed the appearance of its performance chart. It seems like there is no longer able to compare open ended funds. Very disappointing. Please tell me this is a temporary glitch while they make the change? I don't want to be correct in my prediction above about losing functionality.

There's the comparison tool over at HL if that helps you.

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discoun ... ion/charts

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » August 4th, 2021, 7:55 pm

monabri wrote:There's the comparison tool over at HL if that helps you.

i've never liked their one. 5 years max, can't choose exact dates, cumbersome menu selection of funds/IT's for comparison rather than the quick and easy typing on AIC.

i also notice you can no longer choose exact dates for the chart on AIC. You could do it with a neat mouse click and drag on the chart or by selecting it on the calendar before. it worked really well. i just don't understand why they want to make it a lot worse. It's exactly the sort of "improvements" i was dreading.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 4th, 2021, 8:18 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:

i've never liked their one. 5 years max, can't choose exact dates, cumbersome menu selection of funds/IT's for comparison rather than the quick and easy typing on AIC.

i also notice you can no longer choose exact dates for the chart on AIC. You could do it with a neat mouse click and drag on the chart or by selecting it on the calendar before. it worked really well. i just don't understand why they want to make it a lot worse. It's exactly the sort of "improvements" i was dreading.

I think this is the word you’re looking for:

Verschlimmbesserung

Hell of word, eh? Geman, of course.

Approximately- an 'improvement' that makes things worse.

c/o AleisterCrowley - viewtopic.php?t=29082#p406915

However to be fair, now that I’ve just had a look at a performance chart following your heads-up, it is a lot more “accessible” as viewed on my iPad. Previously I could not see any scale.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » August 5th, 2021, 8:02 am

nmdhqbc wrote:

You should still be able to choose and change dates. Certainly could in the one I saw in testing! I agree it is an important function and am investigating having that reinstated and why it has disappeared. The decision to remove comparison with OE categories and funds was due to noise and complexity vs the fact it was almost never being used.

In my original post I was more referring to the cleaning up of the compare tools, and, more importantly the "Screener". This I believe is a very powerful and helpful tool that many on here may appreciate. It then leads to a further side by side comparison tool. Have you managed to try that yet?

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » August 5th, 2021, 8:11 am

DavidM13 wrote:The decision to remove comparison with OE categories and funds was due to noise and complexity vs the fact it was almost never being used.

this logic baffles me. so what if it's not used very often? it is not too complex to have option of what to compare to. why ruin it for the minority. minorities are important don't you know. get woke like the world is.

DavidM13 wrote:In my original post I was more referring to the cleaning up of the compare tools, and, more importantly the "Screener". This I believe is a very powerful and helpful tool that many on here may appreciate. It then leads to a further side by side comparison tool. Have you managed to try that yet?

this does not concern me. i liked the website and the charting tool as is was. why not just leave well alone? why is this added functionality labelled "more powerful" yet other functionality you've taken away considered "too complex". rather selective and i knew what was coming too. you told me to trust you and i rightly said no.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » August 5th, 2021, 9:21 am

"this logic baffles me. so what if it's not used very often? it is not too complex to have option of what to compare to. why ruin it for the minority. minorities are important don't you know. get woke like the world is."

Hi,
The complexity (or noise) was because there are tens of thousands of open end funds, Morningstar open indexes and Morningstar Category Averages within the comparison tool. It was very time consuming for a server to search for them all and return the picklist and very hard for users to find exactly what they want. You will see already that it takes quite a long time to search through the very small universe of closed-end funds in the comparison tool. To search all the other universes took so long that a user would wonder if the comparison tool was even working.

I hope to get the "choose your own date" switch back on soon.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » August 5th, 2021, 1:54 pm

DavidM13 wrote:"this logic baffles me. so what if it's not used very often? it is not too complex to have option of what to compare to. why ruin it for the minority. minorities are important don't you know. get woke like the world is."

Hi,
The complexity (or noise) was because there are tens of thousands of open end funds, Morningstar open indexes and Morningstar Category Averages within the comparison tool. It was very time consuming for a server to search for them all and return the picklist and very hard for users to find exactly what they want. You will see already that it takes quite a long time to search through the very small universe of closed-end funds in the comparison tool. To search all the other universes took so long that a user would wonder if the comparison tool was even working.

I hope to get the "choose your own date" switch back on soon.

well it worked fine for me. just have a separate box to search for open ended funds to compare then. those users can wait while the closed comparisons can be quicker. a very simple solution to the problem instead of just cutting off the nose to spite the face.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » August 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm

DavidM13 wrote:You will see already that it takes quite a long time to search through the very small universe of closed-end funds in the comparison tool.

as i said on the last post, the old tool used to work just fine in this regard. I just had a play with the new one and i agree it is indeed too slow. Much slower than the old one. Another backwards step. Just go back to the old one. I can not see any up side to this new one.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”