Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Brutal cruelty at the BBC

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Brutal cruelty at the BBC

Postby bionichamster » April 9th, 2017, 9:52 am

DiamondEcho wrote: He could spot a rabbit's ears from a long way off, would ask us to wait, and he'd crouch slightly and at a steady pace walk directly to it, lean over and pick it up. Then as children we'd all run over to look at it :) And they were 100% wild rabbits, it wasn't a rabbit farm or anything :) I still don't know how he did it. I tried it out on my own a few times but it never worked, never got closer than say 15M.

It certainly sounds like quite an unusual skill, my first thought was myxomatosis might have allowed him to walk up and take rabbits (was common enough abong recovering rabbit poplns from the 60's to the 80's, and still regularly encountered even now), it's pretty easy to walk up to a myxy rabbit. It is also possible to induce tonic immobility in a rabbit once youve got a hold of it by turning it on its back, some pet owners do this (often called 'trancing') but it can be quite stressful for the animlas so not generally reccomended by vets or responsible owners unless you need to animal to stay still for an important reason such as treating an injury.

I've seen the shark thing on videos, they are possibly the best know animal for exibiting this behaviour, although presumably it occurs for different reasons than it does for prey species such as rabbits. Must have been pretty amazing to see close up first hand, but to be honest I think I'd be too nervous around a school of sharks, I'll stick to rabbits!

BH

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Brutal cruelty at the BBC

Postby DiamondEcho » April 9th, 2017, 12:35 pm

In brief, as kitchen-duty calls...
That's a very good point re: myxie, it certainly was pretty common back then. That might explain it, 'you broke the code!' :)
I hadn't realised rabbits had tonic immobility when picked up by the neck. Presumably some reflex from youth so their parents could pick them up and carry them around without them fighting it? I think you see similar in lion cubs, an adult picks them up, and they hang there in a loose fashion.

I believe the shark thing is because their noses are packed full of sensory-receptors. So by rubbing it you're probably overloading just about every sensory system they have; perhaps like being instantly completely stoned.
Yes it was amazing to witness. Diving is a hobby that requires meeting a series of psychological hurdles, and in a way as you advance as a diver the hurdles loom larger. Some trainees at entry level discover they're simply unable to sit at the bottom of a swimming pool and breath from their SCUBA unit. In fact I had a dive student once who was standing in waist deep water, and could not lean forward to put just his face, with his regulator [air supply] in his mouth, under water. In fact that was a material hurdle for more than a few people. Further later hurdles are diving in a strong current, deep diving, blue diving [like being in space, water all around, no visual reference points]. Somewhere further on might be shark-diving with no physical protection, just trust in your guides. I'd already dived many times before with sharks around, it's always a buzz/thrill. But the big-thing in this instance was the thoroughly 'evil killing machine' reputation Tiger sharks sadly have, second only to the Great White.

Return to “The Meaning of Life”