Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fixed Income Investor Refugees

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
Gan020
Lemon Slice

Fixed Income Investor Refugees

Postby Gan020 » January 7th, 2022, 3:29 pm

Regrettably Fixed Income Investor is closing on Monday and we will be welcoming some new members with investments in bonds, prefs and PIBS etc.

I have set up this thread as a place for those moving over to ask any general questions or advice

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fixed Income Investor Refugees

Postby Newroad » January 7th, 2022, 3:39 pm

Hi Gan.

Good idea - and welcome to the FII émigrés! :)

For anyone who needs to know, my pertinent interests are both active and passive collective bond investments (VAGP, HDIV and BIPS currently).

Regards, Newroad

geoffp

Postby geoffp » January 7th, 2022, 5:08 pm

Agreed! Not a bad idea and I have 'bookmarked' the thread. Once I've got my head round bookmarking, subscribing and all the other complications that us old timers didn't have to struggle with on the FII board I'm sure we will still be able to carry on exchanging all the useful stuff we did there!

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 8th, 2022, 6:34 am

It's a huge shame that https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/ is closing. I remember like it were yesterday my happiness at finding the site back in around 2005 when I started buying gilts. Mark Glowrey did a great job with the tools on the site: the gilt price history is still better than any other site but the DMO, the ability to compare yields on charts is invaluable and I was a regular user of the yield calculator. Having prices of most retail bonds all in one place was very valuable.

Has anyone approached Stock Cube to ask why they are closing the site and whether they would consider passing it on to someone else to manage? I'm guessing it wouldn't be straightforward anyway because of contracts for providing prices and data etc, but it must be worth asking surely?

Meanwhile welcome to new readers and posters arriving from that site. I never posted there, but I did read the messages from time to time and recognised some people as regulars at Motley Fool/Lemon Fool.

GS

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » January 17th, 2022, 6:35 pm

GoSeigen wrote:It's a huge shame that https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/ is closing. I remember like it were yesterday my happiness at finding the site back in around 2005 when I started buying gilts. Mark Glowrey did a great job with the tools on the site: the gilt price history is still better than any other site but the DMO, the ability to compare yields on charts is invaluable and I was a regular user of the yield calculator. Having prices of most retail bonds all in one place was very valuable.

Has anyone approached Stock Cube to ask why they are closing the site and whether they would consider passing it on to someone else to manage? I'm guessing it wouldn't be straightforward anyway because of contracts for providing prices and data etc, but it must be worth asking surely?

Meanwhile welcome to new readers and posters arriving from that site. I never posted there, but I did read the messages from time to time and recognised some people as regulars at Motley Fool/Lemon Fool.

GS

Does ADVFN or similar have any interest in FI investments?

Surerera
Lemon Pip

Postby Surerera » January 18th, 2022, 8:33 am

ADVFN's fixed income board is here:

http://uk.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=25192223

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 18th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Surerera wrote:ADVFN's fixed income board is here:
http://uk.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=25192223

Gosh, ten years ago.... a real good old-fashioned BB.

V8

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 20th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Fixed Income site now closed - at least they've left a link to here so hopefully we can carry on as before.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » January 20th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Hi All.

Not sure if any of you guys are into BIPS (or to round things out for me in the area, HDIV and VAGP) but I've been keeping an eye on it.

Published NAV has been holding up fairly well in the current interest rate turmoil (192.3p including undistributed current year revenue) with a net borrowing level of 8% (where it had been fluctuating between 9% and 10%).

Regards, Newroad

Wozzitworthit
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wozzitworthit » January 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm

I had asked Fixed Income Investor to keep the site open for a week or two, and also to mention that we have now moved to Lemon Fool and/or ADVFN, so I am very pleased they seem to have taken note - I will drop them another email thanking them.

Woz

drb01

Postby drb01 » January 21st, 2022, 8:06 am

Does anyone know a good source of close of business Gilt prices (especially index linked)?

The Debt Management Office say to use tradeweb, but the prices are only published next day at noon, and they are a pain to get into my spreadsheet!

The only other place I know is the LSE , but they don't calculate yields (which is tricky for linkers).

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 21st, 2022, 8:49 am

Newroad wrote:Hi All.

Not sure if any of you guys are into BIPS (or to round things out for me in the area, HDIV and VAGP) but I've been keeping an eye on it.

Published NAV has been holding up fairly well in the current interest rate turmoil (192.3p including undistributed current year revenue) with a net borrowing level of 8% (where it had been fluctuating between 9% and 10%).

Regards, Newroad

Thanks for mentioning VAGP. I've never heard of this before and in the current climate and with RPI inflation now at 7.5%, am rather interested in large well-diversified ETFs and ITs.

To HDIV and BIPS, you could also add NCYF, SMIF, AXI and NBMI for further investigation.

Steve

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » January 21st, 2022, 10:17 am

Hi Steve.

All our sub-portfolios (ISA's, JISA's and SIPP's) hold VAGP for the 50% passive component of the bond holding (itself 20-30% overall of each sub-portfolios). Similarly, all used to hold one of CMHY, IPE & HDIV for the 50% active part of the bond holding. However, when CMHY and IPE merged to form BIPS, it meant two sub-portolio types were holding it.

I've been looking to re-diversify and hence switch one of the BIPS holdings to another, with NBMI being perhaps the most likely candidate, but am not sufficiently enthralled with it at present.

Regards, Newroad

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » January 21st, 2022, 9:47 pm

There's always the US treasury alternative. AFAIK interest is exempt from US withholding taxes when you buy treasuries directly rather than via funds.

Issues are however that outside of ISA the interest is HMRC taxed, whilst inside ISA as you can't hold foreign currencies you get hit with FX costs. Outside of that there's a broader range and wider range of data/tools available such as https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... data=yield and https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DGS10/

Other risks include £/$ fluctuations, that broadly might be expected to be more of a benefit as the $ tends to decline relative to gold and the £ tends to decline against the $. There are also US Estate Tax (death duties) risks if you hold more than $60K of US assets (for most that will be exempt up to something like $11M, but your heirs have to file the correct paperwork within the correct times).

dandigirl

Postby dandigirl » January 22nd, 2022, 3:44 pm

Success. I'm in! :D :lol:

Wozzitworthit
2 Lemon pips

Postby Wozzitworthit » January 22nd, 2022, 4:42 pm

Welcome !!!

Woz

TonyM

Postby TonyM » January 30th, 2022, 4:27 pm

Hi,
Sad to see Fixed Interest Investors site close, but hope that something similar can be resurrected. I am interested in a wide range of Fixed Interest instruments, ranging from PIBs to Preference shares and Corporate bonds. Some are past holdings that I would like to track to see how unwisely I sold them and others are current holdings that I want to monitor to see how unwisely I have retained them.

The list is as follows:
Corporate Bonds:
AVB, HALP, LLPC, LLPD
Preference shares:
GACA, SAN, SKIP, STAC
PIBs:
CPBP, LBS, NOTP

Has anyone any idea how to regularly update prices and yields - I'm missing the Fixed Interest Investor graphs already.
TonyM

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 30th, 2022, 5:05 pm

TonyM wrote:Hi,

Has anyone any idea how to regularly update prices and yields - I'm missing the Fixed Interest Investor graphs already.
TonyM

Several sites give free historical prices, e.g.
https://shareprices.com/lse/halp
then you have to extract the data - either manually or using a scraper - take a look at the financial software board

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 30th, 2022, 5:29 pm

TonyM wrote:Hi,
Sad to see Fixed Interest Investors site close, but hope that something similar can be resurrected. I am interested in a wide range of Fixed Interest instruments, ranging from PIBs to Preference shares and Corporate bonds. Some are past holdings that I would like to track to see how unwisely I sold them and others are current holdings that I want to monitor to see how unwisely I have retained them.

The list is as follows:
Corporate Bonds:
AVB, HALP, LLPC, LLPD
Preference shares:
GACA, SAN, SKIP, STAC
PIBs:
CPBP, LBS, NOTP

TonyM

My Interactive Investor broker gives the prices, though not sure about the yields.

https://www.ii.co.uk

Just use the 'Search' for the code, e.g. GACA:

https://www.ii.co.uk/shares/general-acc ... 1/LSE:GACA

Steve

PS Aren't all those in the top line, preference shares and not bonds?

drb01

Postby drb01 » January 30th, 2022, 5:39 pm

I find ft.com and Morningstar.co.uk have the greatest variety including international, funds etc and u can set up your own portfolio.

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”