Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Return to Thailand

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3475
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 3857 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#627407

Postby stevensfo » November 14th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Fluke wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
I fell in love with SE Asia while going to see my aunt in WA with a few long stop-offs, 5 days in Singapore, a trip to Vietnam and Laos and one trip with relatives to see Bangkok and Cambodia. I have a relative who teaches English in Phnom Penh. The French-run hotels on the coast are places you never want to leave.

Steve


I've just been reading through this interesting thread as I'm in the planning/day dreaming stage of a trip to the area, specifically Thailand and/or Cambodia. I'm thinking an initial few weeks from late November as a holiday/fact-finding mission in preperation for a longer stay from January through to March. I'd love to know more about these French-run hotels and the Cambodia coastal area more generally. I'm not bothered about treks around Angkor Wat or the like, I'm more interested in beaches, bars, markets, food and relaxation. I love a city but only for a few days at a time.

Or perhaps I could ask if you were planning something similar, how would you go about it?


We only visited Bangkok so I don't know the rest of the country.

I still have a list of the places we stayed:

Bangkok: Anantara Hotel. Amazing hotel on the river. We took river boats to visit the city.

Cambodia: Siem Reap: Pavillon d'Orient, Battambang: Cabaret Vert , Phnom Phen: Pavilion Hotel, (All French/Cambodian).

Kep: Verandah Resort. I loved this place. Relaxed, two pools, good food. Walking distance to the coast and loads of markets. N.B. Cambodia has far lower standard of living, so take care where you eat outside the hotels!! Run by a nice French lady.

Vietnam: Hanoi Hotel Marvellous, Excellent cheap fish restaurant 10 minutes down road: Cha Ca Thang Long N.B. Vietnam higher standards but traffic has to be seen to be believed. There is an organisation called 'Hanoi Kids' that will send two uni students to spend a day showing you around. They want to practise their English. Only cost is to pay for lunch (cheap!) and bring them a few magazines.

Hue: Villa Louise, Beautiful hotel.

Hoi An: Vinh Hung 143 Tran Phu, N.B. Great town!

Laos, Luang Prabang: Lotus Villa, N.B. Very simple but amazing visits to the country. Very long market in town. Primary school will love gifts of crayons, exercise books etc! A student cafe where they just ask for conversation and to correct their English.

Steve

PS Yes, my relatives are retired teachers. How did you guess? 8-)

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3506
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 1198 times
Been thanked: 1283 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#627457

Postby richfool » November 14th, 2023, 2:03 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Fluke wrote:
I've just been reading through this interesting thread as I'm in the planning/day dreaming stage of a trip to the area, specifically Thailand and/or Cambodia. I'm thinking an initial few weeks from late November as a holiday/fact-finding mission in preperation for a longer stay from January through to March. I'd love to know more about these French-run hotels and the Cambodia coastal area more generally. I'm not bothered about treks around Angkor Wat or the like, I'm more interested in beaches, bars, markets, food and relaxation. I love a city but only for a few days at a time.

Or perhaps I could ask if you were planning something similar, how would you go about it?


We only visited Bangkok so I don't know the rest of the country.

I still have a list of the places we stayed:

Bangkok: Anantara Hotel. Amazing hotel on the river. We took river boats to visit the city.

Cambodia: Siem Reap: Pavillon d'Orient, Battambang: Cabaret Vert , Phnom Phen: Pavilion Hotel, (All French/Cambodian).

Kep: Verandah Resort. I loved this place. Relaxed, two pools, good food. Walking distance to the coast and loads of markets. N.B. Cambodia has far lower standard of living, so take care where you eat outside the hotels!! Run by a nice French lady.

Vietnam: Hanoi Hotel Marvellous, Excellent cheap fish restaurant 10 minutes down road: Cha Ca Thang Long N.B. Vietnam higher standards but traffic has to be seen to be believed. There is an organisation called 'Hanoi Kids' that will send two uni students to spend a day showing you around. They want to practise their English. Only cost is to pay for lunch (cheap!) and bring them a few magazines.

Hue: Villa Louise, Beautiful hotel.

Hoi An: Vinh Hung 143 Tran Phu, N.B. Great town!

Laos, Luang Prabang: Lotus Villa, N.B. Very simple but amazing visits to the country. Very long market in town. Primary school will love gifts of crayons, exercise books etc! A student cafe where they just ask for conversation and to correct their English.

Steve

PS Yes, my relatives are retired teachers. How did you guess? 8-)


In terms of Thailand, Phuket used to be nice, but (IMV) is now far too commercialised, developed, traffic jammed and exploitative.

Krabi could be a quieter base, from which to explore a few of the islands by boat trips (usually from Ao Nang), to Railay, Phranang cave, Chicken island etc.

More recently, I have stayed in Jomtien, which is pleasant, with a long beach front/promenade, and which has access to a few island trips from Pattaya Pier (to Koh Lan and Koh Chang).

I never been to Cambodia, though understand the Cambodian beach resort of Sihanoukville has now been taken over by Chinese. I found this link about best beaches in that region: https://www.siemreaper.com/blog/best-be ... -cambodia/

In Laos, there is the new (Chinese) high speed train now, which links Vientiane with Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang. One can also fly to Luang Prabang (domestically from Vientiane or from regional hubs like Bangkok).

Fluke
Lemon Slice
Posts: 627
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#628009

Postby Fluke » November 16th, 2023, 1:19 pm

stevensfo, richfool, thanks both for the info and links, I'm still following up but seem to be homing in on a loose plan of flying to Bangkok, staying there for a week or so before heading to an island, possibly Koh Samui, Krabi or Jomtein (which I hadn't previously heard of) for a few weeks. Returning just before Christmas and just within the 30 days allowable by the tourist visa. I'm hoping by then to have a much better idea about what to do for the longer trip come January.

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3506
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 1198 times
Been thanked: 1283 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#628098

Postby richfool » November 16th, 2023, 8:19 pm

Fluke wrote:stevensfo, richfool, thanks both for the info and links, I'm still following up but seem to be homing in on a loose plan of flying to Bangkok, staying there for a week or so before heading to an island, possibly Koh Samui, Krabi or Jomtein (which I hadn't previously heard of) for a few weeks. Returning just before Christmas and just within the 30 days allowable by the tourist visa. I'm hoping by then to have a much better idea about what to do for the longer trip come January.

Hi Fluke, Without meaning to be pedantic, be aware that the 30 day stay is actually an exemption stamp (stamp on arrival) for 30 days. It's not a visa. The tourist visa, which has to be applied for through an Embassy, prior to travel, allows 60 days, with an option to extend in country by a further 30 days.

Also, be careful that your return flight is dated within the 30 days of your arrival date, or period of your visa.

Fluke
Lemon Slice
Posts: 627
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#628109

Postby Fluke » November 16th, 2023, 9:48 pm

richfool wrote:Hi Fluke, Without meaning to be pedantic, be aware that the 30 day stay is actually an exemption stamp (stamp on arrival) for 30 days. It's not a visa. The tourist visa, which has to be applied for through an Embassy, prior to travel, allows 60 days, with an option to extend in country by a further 30 days.

Also, be careful that your return flight is dated within the 30 days of your arrival date, or period of your visa.


Not pedantic at all, I haven't looked into that side of it at all yet, thanks for the heads up.

jaizan
Lemon Slice
Posts: 391
Joined: September 1st, 2018, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#628222

Postby jaizan » November 17th, 2023, 2:39 pm

richfool wrote:
Fluke wrote:Also, be careful that your return flight is dated within the 30 days of your arrival date, or period of your visa.


This is a risk, however, I've never had this checked when leaving the UK or entering Thailand.

That includes several times when my return flight has been later than the entitlement, whether that be 30, 60 or 90 days. I've usually had a separate flight booked onto Cambodia or Laos at an appropriate time, but EVA air don't know about that.

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3506
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 1198 times
Been thanked: 1283 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#628237

Postby richfool » November 17th, 2023, 3:22 pm

jaizan wrote:
richfool wrote:


This is a risk, however, I've never had this checked when leaving the UK or entering Thailand.

That includes several times when my return flight has been later than the entitlement, whether that be 30, 60 or 90 days. I've usually had a separate flight booked onto Cambodia or Laos at an appropriate time, but EVA air don't know about that.

If it's going to be an issue, it's more likely to be at the airline check-in desk in the UK. I've known people who have been quizzed. A friend who is about to travel out there next month (with the intention of staying for 2 x 30 days), has booked an onward flight to Laos, just before the end of the initial 30 days, where he will spend a few days before returning to Thailand for a second lot of 30 days, (so he can show that he will be leaving Thailand within 30 days of his arrival).

jaizan
Lemon Slice
Posts: 391
Joined: September 1st, 2018, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Return to Thailand

#628638

Postby jaizan » November 19th, 2023, 5:59 pm

richfool wrote:
jaizan wrote:A friend who is about to travel out there next month (with the intention of staying for 2 x 30 days), has booked an onward flight to Laos, just before the end of the initial 30 days, where he will spend a few days before returning to Thailand for a second lot of 30 days

Earlier this year, I flew to Vientiane, Laos near the end of my 60 day visa. The queue for a Lao visa on arrival took nearly 2.5 hours. So I suggest an e-visa.

I've entered Laos over land on 3 previous trips and the visa on arrival was done in a few minutes in those cases, so I wasn't expecting such delays at the airport.


Return to “Airport Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests