Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Haitch

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Arizona11
2 Lemon pips

Haitch

Postby Arizona11 » September 3rd, 2017, 10:47 pm

I realize this may have been discussed before, but I bring it up again having suffered Idris Elba advertising Sky Haitch Dee.

Bad enough that people say Haitch in the first place, but using it in advertising gives it some form of legitimacy. I cringe every time the advert comes on.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Haitch

Postby PinkDalek » September 3rd, 2017, 11:07 pm

Arizona11 wrote:I realize this may have been discussed before, ...

May have?:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6840&p=74012&hilit=haitch#p74012

... but I bring it up again having suffered Idris Elba advertising Sky Haitch Dee.

Bad enough that people say Haitch in the first place, but using it in advertising gives it some form of legitimacy. I cringe every time the advert comes on.

I saw the advert and heard the H but didn't know who the actor was. Thanks for being so helpful.

I imagine they are appealing to other H users. When I say users and H, I don't mean the type of H that users use.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 6th, 2017, 6:05 pm

I too get annoyed y the use of Haitch and as I run a pub quiz decided one day to ask the teams to spell Aitch. Under 35s almost all spelt it with an H, those over were a mixed bag, the older the team members the more chance of it being spelled correctly.

R6

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » September 6th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Contentious stuff, Arizona11. The accepted pronunciation originally differed depending upon where the speaker lived. The consensus that 'aitch' is somehow 'correct' is a moot point, as this article explains: https://www.theguardian.com/science/sho ... ical-rosen

Anyhow, we all have our linguistic blind spots, as shown in this famous Mitchell & Webb sketch. (I'm never quite sure whether the mistakes* made by the self-appointed grammar policeman himself are irony or ignorance on the part of the writers.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs

As for me, I can't abide the pompous-sounding 'fewer' and would even rather use 'less' incorrectly than use 'fewer' and have to punch myself repeatedly in the face.

With all due respect,

LadyG

*David Mitchell's character makes at least two, while literally executing justice on those who fail to meet his standards.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 6th, 2017, 9:52 pm

We need less laws
There are less cars in the city centre
Less people attended than last time
Ten items or less

No, sorry, it's awful...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 16th, 2017, 8:39 am

LadyGagarin wrote:*David Mitchell's character makes at least two, while literally executing justice on those who fail to meet his standards.

Ah, there's another one. Literally. As in "I was literally gobsmacked." (I wish, I wish. Form an orderly queue please, right behind me...)

And wasn't there a Colemanballs once: "And the crowd are literally electrified and glued to their seats...."?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 16th, 2017, 10:05 am

bungeejumper wrote:Ah, there's another one. Literally. As in "I was literally gobsmacked." (I wish, I wish. Form an orderly queue please, right behind me...)

And wasn't there a Colemanballs once: "And the crowd are literally electrified and glued to their seats...."?

BJ

While I can't disagree with you there, perhaps they're unwittingly reclaiming the word? After all, the word literally as you or I were brought up to understand it really means verily or truly. Literally presumably originates with as written, which would make it a corruption of something like according to some higher authority. An article of faith.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 16th, 2017, 10:20 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:While I can't disagree with you there, perhaps they're unwittingly reclaiming the word? After all, the word literally as you or I were brought up to understand it really means verily or truly. Literally presumably originates with as written, which would make it a corruption of something like according to some higher authority. An article of faith.

Could be. According to some higher authority, I imagine those spectators were verily glued to their seats while doubling as circuitry for the stadium arc lights. I expect it saved the management a goodly sum on cabling costs. :lol:

And another thing....

One of my colleagues has recently forgotten the difference between simply and simplistically. You're in the middle of a business presentation, and he says: "to put it simplistically, we're shifting the delivery parameters" (or some such crap). The implication being; "I reckon you're too stupid to understand the real explanation, so here it comes in a dumbed-down format especially for you." Doesn't go down too well with the old guard, but the younger ones don't seem to notice. O tempora, o mores.

BJ

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » September 16th, 2017, 2:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
LadyGagarin wrote:*David Mitchell's character makes at least two, while literally executing justice on those who fail to meet his standards.

Ah, there's another one. Literally. As in "I was literally gobsmacked." (I wish, I wish. Form an orderly queue please, right behind me...)

BJ

BJ, watch the clip. He literally does execute them.

roger4
Lemon Pip

Postby roger4 » September 23rd, 2017, 10:47 am

Bj. Thank you for the laughs. Well done. Yes, I know I shouldn't give compliments on this board but your comments reminded me so much of Michael Flanders in one of his soliloquies from "At the Drop of Another Hat"........O Tempora, O Mores (aside Oh Times, Oh Daily Mirror).

Roger

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 25th, 2017, 8:50 am

roger4 wrote:Your comments reminded me so much of Michael Flanders in one of his soliloquies from "At the Drop of Another Hat"........O Tempora, O Mores (aside Oh Times, Oh Daily Mirror).

Ah yes, Michael Flanders. Always there with exactly the right observation. "I'm delirious about my new cooker with the eye level grill. This means that the hot fat can spit right in your eye." :lol:

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”