Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sold my house building shares

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
Aprilfool62

Sold my house building shares

Postby Aprilfool62 » September 14th, 2017, 7:34 am

This is in reply to Bouleversee who asked why I'd sold my house builders recently on the premium bond thread on another board.
I was fed up with Berkeley Group with the buy backs reducing the dividend (dividends are my main source of income).... and decided to take the profits. Then I looked at my others...persimmon, Barrett, crest Nicholson.....although I don't believe it's the top of the market yet, it surely can't keep increasing for much longer. Maybe another year or so.....but I got spooked, lost my nerve and sold up. I've now gone over my CGT limit, but never mind, I can always sell my prov financial to even it out. :shock:
I will probably buy some premium bonds and an IT with the proceeds but I'm not sure yet. Since I've been doing this I've never been as jittery and unsure as I am now.

April

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sold my house building shares

Postby Dod1010 » September 14th, 2017, 8:10 am

I do not hold and never have held any housebuilders. If you feel as nervous as you say then I am sure you are doing the right thing but if you are living off your dividends you are going to suffer a significant drop in your income unless in the highly unlikely event that you win a £1 million prize.

Since this is the property discussion board, you could buy Primary Health Properties for instance, which is a much more conservative and safer (I think) bet than any of the housebuilders. There must be a place for a conservatively run housebuilder given the demand for housing but I am afraid the antics of say Berkeley are unacceptable to me.

In the property sector, Shaftesbury seems a good buy or as an IT HICL, despite its premium, but I hold neither.

DYOR

Dod

MrBarclay
Lemon Pip

Postby MrBarclay » September 14th, 2017, 10:19 am

I didn't buy into the builders this time. Tempted, but still spooked by memories of the 80s recession, when the brick factories turned off their furnaces ;)

Aprilfool62

Postby Aprilfool62 » September 14th, 2017, 6:00 pm

thanks for your response.

Dod I see holding premium bonds as the same as holding cash so I may as well get them, as I am not going to re-invest all the cash from my latest sales in back in the stock market. I have a fairly diversified portfolio so although I'll notice the absence of the divis, it wont be the end of the world. However I have looked up your suggestions - i've been aware of Primary Health and like the look of it so thank you for that. I still have Taylor Wimpey in my SIPP so I'm not totally out.

Mr Barclay - I too feel spooked. If interest rates go up, theres a lot of debt out there and things can go bad very quickly.

April

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 28th, 2017, 6:36 pm

I'd have held on to my Persimmon and sold my Taylor Wimpey. I have both and Persimmon has been fantastic but TW a big disappointment. I feel that PSN will hold up well but what do I know?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 4th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Aprilfool62 wrote:This is in reply to Bouleversee who asked why I'd sold my house builders recently on the premium bond thread on another board.
I was fed up with Berkeley Group with the buy backs reducing the dividend (dividends are my main source of income).... and decided to take the profits.

Same for me, after several years of holding them. Got tired of having no idea of what the divi would be. There's a limit to being required to take a 'leap of faith'.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”