Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Selftrade's new website

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
genou
Lemon Slice

Re: Selftrade's new website

Postby genou » November 4th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Stompa wrote:I get this: https://ibb.co/gcxkDG

where subsequent holdings are listed below, but each is of the same format. It looks like something designed for tablets and/or touch screens.

I get this - https://ibb.co/gcUCSb . Which seems OK.

Stompa
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stompa » November 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm

genou wrote:I get this - https://ibb.co/gcUCSb . Which seems OK.

Yes, that looks OK. I wonder why mine is different? I've tried 2 different PCs, 2 different versions of Windows, and 2 different browsers. Deleting cookies doesn't fix it either. It surely can't be down to only having a 1280 pixel screen width?

genou
Lemon Slice

Postby genou » November 4th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Stompa wrote:
genou wrote:I get this - https://ibb.co/gcUCSb . Which seems OK.

Yes, that looks OK. I wonder why mine is different? I've tried 2 different PCs, 2 different versions of Windows, and 2 different browsers. Deleting cookies doesn't fix it either. It surely can't be down to only having a 1280 pixel screen width?

God's teeth. I changed my screen to 1280 *1024; I then see what you see. I can't choose between disbelieving that it got through testing, or that it is a deliberate choice. Presumably ST know the browser details / resolutions of their clients; maybe you're now an outlier.

Stompa
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stompa » November 4th, 2017, 5:53 pm

genou wrote:God's teeth. I changed my screen to 1280 *1024; I then see what you see. I can't choose between disbelieving that it got through testing, or that it is a deliberate choice. Presumably ST know the browser details / resolutions of their clients; maybe you're now an outlier.

I could well be! I also have my screen dpi scaling set to 125%. If I set it to 100% then I get what you get (even at 1280x1024).

Stompa
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stompa » November 4th, 2017, 6:17 pm

johnhemming wrote:The first thing I would do is try reducing the character size on the browser (I also use Chrome) with something like Ctrl -

Actually I was wrong, that does work. But the crucial thing is that you have to adjust the zoom level before displaying the problematic page.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 4th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Stompa wrote:
johnhemming wrote:The first thing I would do is try reducing the character size on the browser (I also use Chrome) with something like Ctrl -

Actually I was wrong, that does work. But the crucial thing is that you have to adjust the zoom level before displaying the problematic page.

CSS can be quite clever, but it tends to do everything really complex when loading the page rather than as a result of changes when a page has been loaded. Personally my preference is to not try to do too many clever things with CSS because that can go wrong with different configurations (and when you include mobiles and tablets it gets even more complex). However, I haven't done any programming in the fintech arena for some time. The work I am doing at the moment is browser and net orientated, but more general than fintech.

Stompa
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stompa » November 4th, 2017, 9:49 pm

johnhemming wrote:CSS can be quite clever, but it tends to do everything really complex when loading the page rather than as a result of changes when a page has been loaded. Personally my preference is to not try to do too many clever things with CSS because that can go wrong with different configurations (and when you include mobiles and tablets it gets even more complex).

That makes a lot of sense.

Anyway my problem has now been fully solved with the aid of a Chrome extension which allows you to automatically set a zoom level for specific domain. My thanks to all who helped.

77ss
Lemon Slice

Postby 77ss » November 4th, 2017, 10:21 pm

feder1 wrote:The new site asks for an 8 digit number whilst I have just a 6 digit number.

Calling it up a few times seems to help get a 6 digit entry page.

Not a glitch specific to the new site.

The old one did/does this every now and then to me. Ridiculous!

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » November 5th, 2017, 10:38 am

Running at 1280x1024 here - the new website is pretty much unusable.

Thanks for the hints of a work around, and I'll probably get it working in some sort of usable form, but how did they allow this mess past testing?

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » November 5th, 2017, 4:38 pm

But looking at those 2 different screenshots it did look as if one was showing a list, the other showing an expanded view of a single line (eg like you can collapse or expand details from a row) so I wonder if something like that is going on, certainly you get more detail from the single stock view than you do in the list view.

Still seems a bit daft if they default to one or the other depending on screen resolution, is say that must be a tablet view thing, except that tablets have a higher resolution than most desktops!

spasmodicus

Postby spasmodicus » November 6th, 2017, 10:22 am

Hopeless. Running at 1366x768 on laptop with Chrome 62.0.3202.75 I get just two holdings per screen, which is unusable.
I'm not going to mess about with that screen resolution just for Selftrade, it works fine for everything else.

Just tried it on my mobile. Having managed to get to the login screen, as the previous url didn't work, several attempts to login failed.

I hope that Selftrade's business and financial skills are better than their IT capabilities

S
(extremely grumpily)

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » November 6th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Very oddly this morning I logged back in, still on my 1280x1024 screen and initially got the same useless display as I got yesterday. However, I was fiddling with Window size etc, and for not clear reason the display suddenly switched back to a usable list - and stayed there when I reduced the window again, and when I switched to message display from portfolio. I was in a rush so didn't get to the bottom of it, but I will have to investigate more later!

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 6th, 2017, 3:05 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:Still seems a bit daft if they default to one or the other depending on screen resolution, is say that must be a tablet view thing, except that tablets have a higher resolution than most desktops!

Indeed. But unusable since most people couldn't see the fine detail on a small screen. The platform type is in the browser info anyway so it shouldn't be hard to work out. See: http://mybrowserinfo.com/detail.asp

The big view does look highly suitable for a mobile phone screen. Though pretty useless on a PC. Drop them a line about it, maybe they just need to tweak their settings. Or maybe there is some way to manually switch?

FWIW I got the detail view, and quite like the new layout. But my PC screen is 1920x1080.

Gryff

Stompa
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stompa » November 7th, 2017, 12:14 pm

In case it is of any use to anybody, the Chrome extension I'm using is this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... d?hl=en-GB

which enables me to specify a zoom level for a specific domain. Setting this to a little less than my usual value means that every time I access selftrade, it's a bit smaller so displays rows in the preferred way.

Bluestone77

Postby Bluestone77 » November 7th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Today I used the new Selftrade website for the first time and got the "huge layout" with only one line of stock appearing on the screen in a table and having to scroll up/down to see the others.
Thanks for the info above with regard to the screen info.
For me in both Firefox or IE browsers simply reducing the screen scaling from 100% to 80% solved the problem.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » November 7th, 2017, 2:10 pm

I found that worked on Chrome too, though I had to reload the relevant page to get it two work

Holts

Postby Holts » November 7th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Trying to use the new site on a mobile device , i pad mini in my case , a disaster , portfolio for example gives me one stock per screen , scrolling down obvioulsy lets me see the others , but I want to see the whole lot on one screen as before . Asking to see cash statement , if I select ' All ' it used to give me just over three pages , today I will only have to go through 33 pages , what sort of nits do they employ ? I sent them an email when they advised a new website was coming noting the Barclays shambles , no problem was the reply we are testing it on people , presumably in braille !

Midsmartin
Lemon Pip

Postby Midsmartin » November 7th, 2017, 8:31 pm

This has been the fashion in web design for a few years: take some information, and pad it out with as much white space (and preferably some pointless icons) as possible so that users have to scroll up and down endlessly, instead of viewing it tidily on one screen.

Darka
2 Lemon pips

Postby Darka » November 8th, 2017, 7:04 am

Luckily I instigated a transfer away from Selftrade last month for other reasons, so am nearly free of them - however the new website (what I've seen of it) is horrible.

GingerPlant

Postby GingerPlant » November 8th, 2017, 1:28 pm

FWIW, I've now sent them two emails asking if it's possible to transfer back to the previous version (which was not at all good - but was still better than this new version). I don't hold out much hope. This will probably be the final straw for me.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”