Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pillows - any recommendations?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
neversay
Lemon Slice

Pillows - any recommendations?

Postby neversay » November 14th, 2017, 2:37 pm

DAK how I find a good pillow? Any recommendations?

I'm mostly a side sleeper but also front and back, but I am having increasing neck problems. Sadly feather/down is out of the question and the contoured memory foam one I've got doesn't feel like it moulds the right way. I have been into shops and squeezed pillows, plus read lots of reviews online, but no wiser on what to buy next. Any tips?

killergorilla

Re: Pillows - any recommendations?

Postby killergorilla » November 14th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I recently bought a couple of Casper pillows.
Life changing sleep. Super comfortable and a construction that doesn't change over time.
No idea why it's so good but it's done the trick. Worth the (rather hefty) price tag.
KG

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 14th, 2017, 4:18 pm

IKEA pillows of course! Get a mattress to go with it, can't go wrong!

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » November 14th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I do well with a memory foam pillow but it is no 'contured' just plain ordinary pillow shape. Have you bought one of those memory foam neck pillow by any chance. I tried one once and found it really painful.

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » November 14th, 2017, 6:54 pm

I use one full of grain husks or something similar (available on t'internet). This means you can mold it into shape easily as you are lying down with your hands or with pressure from your head. It stays in that shape whilst your head rests on it as this pressure is not enough to change the shape. I used to have problems sleeping but never have done since using these. I sleep on my back, front and side and the pillow is always exactly as high and shaped as I want it.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 14th, 2017, 8:27 pm

A personal question like this will get personal answers - perhaps all varying.
Personally, I think you need to consult a virtual 'pillow consultant', someone who does this for a living. If so, I'd visit the bedding department at John Lewis. The staff there, what ever the department, tend to be in the job for the long term, and know their stuff.

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » November 14th, 2017, 8:43 pm

MrCake wrote:I use one full of grain husks or something similar ...

That. I bought a couple of buckwheat pillows on a whim some 15 years ago now, and they are among the best purchases I can recall making.

It took a couple of nights to get used to them -- the rustling when you move can be a bit strange at first -- but within a week I knew I wouldn't swap them for anything else, and neither would my wife. Not hot on warm nights, yet not cold on cool ones. Supportive for any sleep position and easy to mould to any shape or thickness. Also very durable; I don't think I've ever known pillows last so long, and they're still going strong.

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » November 14th, 2017, 8:56 pm

That. I bought a couple of buckwheat pillows on a whim some 15 years ago now, and they are among the best purchases I can recall making.

That too TedSwippet! Buckwheat it is.

The label on mine says http://www.perfectpillow.co.uk which now redirects to http://www.razzmatazz.co.uk which is apparently Perfect Pillow 2017, so presumably the same, and they list buckwheat pillows for £24 -£37. Well worth it in my opinion.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 15th, 2017, 9:33 am

I prefer a mix of heather and green hops myself.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 10th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Many thanks to MrCake and TedSwippet. I wasn't the original inquirer but despite my memory foam pillow I have of late been suffering from excessively restless sleep plus waking a lot. So I decided to buy one of these buckwheat shell pillows as an early Christmas present for myself.

The first night I used it I thought I'd made a huge mistake as it initially felt and sounded like trying to lie on particularly rough gravel. While I was muttering to myself about the waste of money I fell asleep and only re-surfaced feeling really refreshed 7 hours later. The following two nights have been just as successful.

One of my cats always sleeps on my bed overnight and makes the bed her 'base' as it were during the day. The whole bed including my pillow is always covered by a lightweight bedspread to keep her fur off my pillow and duvet. Normally in the daytime she sleeps on the duvet section with her head propped up against the pillow section. Much to my amusement she has now seconded my vote for these odd pillows by moving to have her whole body on the pillow section and not just her head.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 14th, 2017, 10:27 pm

I'm intrigued by the idea of the buckwheat pillows. I sleep with 2 pillows normally, would you recommend I sleep with 1 buckwheat pillow, an ordinary pillow with a buckwheat pillow on top or 2 buckwheat pillows.

My apologies for asking such a simple question but I have no idea of the thickness of these pillows, I've never seen one.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 15th, 2017, 9:55 am

I have no idea of the thickness of these pillows, I've never seen one.

Unhelpful though it sounds, the answer really is that they are as thick as you want them to be because you just shove them into the shape you want and mysteriously they stay that way until you poke them about again because you want a different shape. So you can make them high or low as you wish - they come with a lot of information.

I think you'd only need one and it would probably spoil how the pillow works if you combined it with an ordinary pillow but maybe other users disagree?

They are really odd things!

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » December 15th, 2017, 4:14 pm

sg31 wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of the buckwheat pillows. I sleep with 2 pillows normally, would you recommend I sleep with 1 buckwheat pillow, an ordinary pillow with a buckwheat pillow on top or 2 buckwheat pillows.

My apologies for asking such a simple question but I have no idea of the thickness of these pillows, I've never seen one.

You only need the one buckwheat pillow. It's the same height as a normal pillow (before you adjust it up or down to suit), but unlike the latter, it won't get compressed when you put your head on it. I combine it with another normal pillow to prop myself up for reading, but only use the buckwheat one for sleeping.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 16th, 2017, 10:32 am

Thanks for the replies. I will order one today.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Just to complete the thread. I bought a buckwheat pillow and took to it immediately, so did my wife. I bought another and now marital harmony is restored.

One point neither of the sizes quoted would have fitted well in our standard size pillow covers. The company were happy to make pillows 26" long rather than the 24/28" they usually make. Service was excellent, quality of product exceeded my expectations and delivery was very quick.

Well done http://www.razzmatazz.co.uk/

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » February 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Ok, I finally jumped in with a buckwheat pillow (thanks for the tip) and thought I would report back.

It is an unusual experience. The noise isn't as bad as I was expecting and there wasn't really a smell. It is easy to form into a comfortable shape which, for me, seems best when there is support to the neck and a hollow for the head. I'm not quite sure what position is optimum and instead just go for what feels like the most comfortable position.

It's too early to tell if my sleep has improved but I have yet to have a repeat of the neck pains that I was getting with my old memory foam pillow. That said, I also splashed out on an expensive Aeron chair and headrest which may also be helping.

Overall, I have to say I like it and, despite the money-back guarantee, will be keeping it. It strikes me as a bit 'marmite' so others should DYOR.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 14th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I was also intrigued by the mention of a buckwheat pillow, and although I've never had any sleep problems I liked the sound of it so ordered one.

I've had it for about two weeks now, and I love it. I've noticed no noise or anything adverse at all, and I find it extremely comfortable.

I also bought one for a friend who has suffered shoulder / neck pain for years, and she says she's already noticed an improvement.

So thanks for the heads up - a rather unexpected extra benefit of good old LF! :D

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » February 14th, 2018, 8:40 pm

A bit late to the thread, but my wife has a Tempur pillow, which she says is amazing:
http://uk.tempur.com/pillows-and-cushions/ergonomic-support/

They are shaped to support yoru head in a good way, but not cheap. Divided into an hourly rate though, it's still a bargain for a good sleep.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 15th, 2018, 10:02 am

Midsmartin wrote:A bit late to the thread, but my wife has a Tempur pillow, which she says is amazing:
They are shaped to support yoru head in a good way, but not cheap. Divided into an hourly rate though, it's still a bargain for a good sleep.

I had one for yours, and later equivalents from other manufacturers, and I was a fan. I could become one again in future IDK, something I'll consider when we return to the UK and furnish our home. One thing I'll highlight though is that IME they take time to adjust to, and once you have you might well love them. But, once you are used to a memory-foam pillow, you might have problems in future when faced with non-MF pillows, perhaps on holiday, or staying with friends/family. I experienced the former a few times, holidays where I didn't sleep well as the pillow were so different vs memory-foam.

Return to “Does anyone know?”