Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Hattrick Season 66 Thread

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Re: The Hattrick Season 66 Thread

Postby Donut102 » October 30th, 2017, 11:51 am

This week was one of two games I targeted to win.
Knowing I was somewhat outclassed, but with a bot next week followed by 3 unwinnable games I decided to MOTS.
I nudged midfield, with 52% possession, but fell short in all other areas of the pitch. Total hatstats were 223 v 364 - so somewhat outclassed :)

Chances were 5 each, and we both converted 3 to make it a draw. My opponent would be quite right to bemoan the ME - it should have been a 4-1 win to them.

This leaves me in 6th, 3 points clear of 7th. Other than the bot team neither of us will pick up points until the last game of the season when we meet each other - and then its a fight to avoid the auto relegation. We drew in the first leg at my stadium, so will need to MOTS again. As a result I'll damage my chances in the play off, but its a risk worth taking.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 1st, 2017, 10:22 am

it was a pretty dismal 25% on "other chances" which included free-kicks both direct and indirect. I suppose this might have had a better return had I played my number 1 set piece taker, but he was on two yellows and I wanted him to be available for tomorrow's Cup quarter-final.

He missed a penalty but converted 2 of my 3 normal chances in a game I was lucky to win (49% but with more chances 6/4 with 3 of my opponent's chances being set piece routines that they couldn't convert).

Last season's English Champions went out to a sensational CA and I'm facing DorothyHyman in the semi.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 6th, 2017, 9:22 am

Bink333 wrote:Last season's English Champions went out to a sensational CA and I'm facing DorothyHyman in the semi.

Good luck tomorrow Binkster!

As for me...

"Bandits at 5 o'clock! I repeat! Bandits at 5 o'clock!"

I was away to 4th, a pretty strong team. I carefully looked at previous matches using the lovely new match orders thing. I decided I'd be losing midfield, so my cunning strategy was a PIC Press Pray.

Sure enough, we started the match losing midfield 60/40. Roughly our respective defences v attack ratings were also 60/40. They decided to go with a 4-5-1 with a single strong wing approach. Their last few games were LLDDL, having started DWWW, their season was somewhat coming apart. Even so, you'd expect a home win from that. Halftime, and we were in a 0-2 lead, with my new winger banging in both. Had a sneaky peek at first in the league's game, they were also away, and that was 0-0. As they are only two points ahead of me, this was good news! Second half and we banged in another, while they did nothing. 0-3 final score. Chances...7-4. Ouch! I guess that's chance, and confidence for you. Meanwhile the league leaders managed to put away one of their chances for an unconvincing 0-1 win. So it's as you were, they're on 27 points, we're on 25, third on 19.

Next week, really big match, we're at home to the leaders, looks like a PIN would give us a coin flip, so I'll have to come up with a cunning plan. Or just cross my fingers.

Ian

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 6th, 2017, 10:28 am

I was away to to the team in 8th. The LS monsters leading the Prem were at home to 6th (who also have a Cup semi tomorrow) and last seasons reigning English Champions were away to 7th.

Last season in week 10 I'd faced the same team at my place and lost, with an over-confidence event not helping matters at all. There was a distinct possibility for that recurring, albeit with less severity if it did, as I was the away team. On Friday I splashed out £1.7m to buy a 34y/o head spec IM in excellent form, primarily because of an injury to my head spec player coach, last Tuesday. He was the only sympathetic (less risk to TS) in excellent form, that fit my shopping list criteria, although with passable stamina I'll avoid playing him for 90 minutes if I can.

The previous two times I'd visited this ground we'd both put out mythical m/f ratings, and I'd nicked the win here last season with 50/50 possession and lost the season before with 50/49%. I figured that they might be able to produce that again (3 weeks of PIC CA following what looked to be a home MoTs over last season's champs 4 weeks ago), but with their relegation dogfight matches coming up over the next fortnight, combined with my having a semi-final, I hoped they might be tempted to take their foot off the PIN pedal for this one.

I'd initially set up a CA formation, but further research left me feeling a lot happier with a 3-5-2 set up, using 3xOCD 2xWTM/2xIMTW and 2xDF. I had conditional orders to go more attacking if I wasn't winning, as I was wary of their CA potential. Immediately after kick off I was mightily relieved that they'd also set up in a 3-5-2 with a midfield two levels less that mine, giving me 54%. I was even more mightily relieved that I hadn't lost this advantage with any over-confidence issues.

My players then produced 11 chances to 2, and we converted 7 including a wing head SE and a corner-head SE. My opponent was the former England NT manager, and he like the current manager, has not considered my quick winger Naik for the NT, who yesterday set up the wing-head SE before bagging himself a hattrick (a career 5th) to complete his LM 100th goal. He's never played for England, and obviously wanted to make a statement.

Elsewhere the leaders won 5-0 and and seasons Champions won 2-5, and the 4 of us are still covered by 5 points with 4 to play. The LS monsters are away to me on Sunday and at home to 3rd the following Sunday, who in turn are at home to me the Sunday after that.

Semi-finals tomorrow.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 7th, 2017, 4:28 pm

3-5-2 set up, using 3xOCD 2xWTM/2xIMTW and 2xDF

Bink
Every now and then you post something that makes me relook at this game. I couldn't figure out why you would play WTM and IMTW together.
My understanding is that Winger generate:
WTM - PM 55%, W 74%. Pass 15%
WN - PM 45%, W 86%, Pass 26%
WO - PM 30%, W 100%, Pass 29%
So if I want to generate more Midfield, it will be at the expense of Wing

Midfielders then generate (to wing attack):
IMN - PM 100%, W 0%, Pass 26%
IMO - PM 95%, W 0%, Pass 36%
IMTW - PM 90%, W 59%, Pass 31%

Putting this together:
WO & IMN = PM 130%, W 100%, Pass 55%
WTM & IMTW = PM 145%, W 133%, Pass 46%
WTM & IMN = PM 155%, W 74%, Pass 41%

So you get more midfield, and more wing - why hadn't I spotted this before?

I don't have any IMTW - but now I realise I need one.
Many thanks!
Donut

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 8th, 2017, 12:16 am

Away to a bot, won 0-7, got a +1 injury to a defender but he should be OK for the next big game coming up.
We are still in 3rd, a point behind 2nd and 2 pts behind 1st.

Next game, we are at home to 2nd, who beat us 1-0 in the first leg. The following week we are away to 1st, so its a tough fortnight coming up, that decides the league.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 8th, 2017, 9:08 am

Donut102 wrote:Every now and then you post something that makes me relook at this game. I couldn't figure out why you would play WTM and IMTW together.

Ditto, and I guess that's one of the reasons Bink's in the Prem, and I'm in IV, despite having been kicking around on Hattrick for about the same time ish.

And just for completeness:

Putting this together:
WO & IMN = PM 130%, W 100%, Pass 55%
WTM & IMTW = PM 145%, W 133%, Pass 46%
WTM & IMN = PM 155%, W 74%, Pass 41%

WN & IMN = PM 145%, W 86%, 52%

Donut102 wrote:So you get more midfield, and more wing - why hadn't I spotted this before?

Indeed, I'd wondered, several times, but hadn't really investigated.

Of course, you need the players to do it. I'm been training IM for a while now, and my wingers have been slowly leveling up, I was just about to sell them, and have bought three new trainees. So I have two wingers I was about to sell, they're 23, both have outstanding PM and WC winger, both in passable form, so remarkably suitable for this test. Playing with the match orders review thingy...oooh, there's a little featurette I hadn't appreciated...the memory buttons, save a lineup to the memory and the comparison numbers are against the "stored" lineup, nice! Anyway...

Playing them WTM and IMTW gives me no loss of midfield rating bit 1.5 levels more wing attack, bad passing levels presumably makes them 0.25 worse central attack, overall, I can live with that.

As my third first team IM is in poor form, I might well be wheeling this out this weekend against first. I was going to sell them both this week, but I might try playing them both in midfield each week and getting 100% training on them for another level, hmm, that'll be another 6 or 7 weeks. Early next season. Hmmm, might now have too many trainees in that case though. Nice problems to have.

Donut102 wrote:I don't have any IMTW - but now I realise I need one.

Or two! :) And the suitable wingers to go with!

Ian

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 8th, 2017, 11:19 am

Yes, the WTM+IMTW combo is pretty much what my home grown strategy was built around, the primary objective being to get a player (or two) into the England NT squad, and the secondary objective being to use the home-grown m/f+side attacks to give the club a shot at some silverware.

Talking of which, I had a semi last night (a semi-final that is).

My research had left me feeling confident (albeit a bit uneasy) that they'd be playing CA. In the quarter-final using 1 wing-back and a normal forward they'd kicked off with a mythical midfield rating, They'd managed a magical m/f at home in week 5, and then on Sunday they produced an excellent m/f on CA in the league. I convinced myself that they'd MoTs the quarters and so I set up with 2 normal forwards in a 2-5-3 with my 2xWTM/IMTW combo and 2xOCD+1xDF

This produced high utopian/divine attack ratings in all sectors, and a mid-titanic midfield.

I thought briefly about boosting m/f if I was behind, but didn't.

Turns out that I was wrong. They set up in a 2-5-3 with an ET m/f and shortly after kick-off I figured that they'd be getting the lions share of the chances and as I had no defence to speak of, they'd have a similar conversion rate to mine. As I'd got away wit' it in the quarters, losing possession and having 6/4 chances, I must have used up all my luck.

Turns out that I was wrong. 3-3 after 20 minutes with 4 chances apiece at half-time. When my stamina subs kicked in at 65 minutes we were 4-4 and they went ahead for the first time in the match in the 73rd minute shortly before my final stamina sub, taking off my most experienced player (divine+5) to be replaced with a mere magical.

This substitution happened in the same minute as they suffered a confusion event "nerves in an important thrilling game", which pegged back their midfield to titanic on a parity with mine. I'd not seen this wording before, but it's the old team inexperience event. I've seen plenty of teams go on to score after getting this confusion event, so I wasn't holding my breath. In the 79th minute my long suffering forward who'd bagged the golden boot in the Prem last season, and is now 35/35 years old bagged the equaliser. 5-5 which was the score after 92 minutes.

We were all set for extra time, and their coach did the old Alex Ferguson thing throwing a few chairs around the dressing room, and they sorted out their confusion issues, starting extra time with 53%. 7 minutes in, my magical xp ex Hong Kong NT OCD scored, taking us 6-5 up. They had a chance with 5 minutes left but couldn't convert, so we avoided a penalty shoot-out and are in the final. 8 chances each and they had 51%.

125k turned up, which put a tad over £400k into the kitty.

Next up, we're at home to the monster LS side that's 2pts ahead in the Prem and topping the table. My opponent Larry, has kindly sent me some interview questions for ht-press, so I don't have to interview myself for the Cup Final against Kicker Conspiracy.

One of the questions is this:-

Would you rather have a hand made out of ham or an armpit that dispenses suncream?

I expect I'll still be thinking about that when I should be deciding how he's going to set up on Sunday, although given how badly I got that wrong last night he's probably doing me a favour!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 13th, 2017, 9:32 am

Bink333 wrote:taking us 6-5 up.

Well played sir! Good luck in the final.

Meanwhile in the dirty small town backstreet stadia of IV...we were at home to the league leaders. They're strong, really strong. I figured even with a MOTS it'd still be a coin toss, so stuck with a PIN, played a nice even 3-5-2, they don't really have a weak area of defence, so I didn't really see any point doing an AOW or AIM, don't have the formation experience anymore for a CA, well, I could do a 4-5-1 CA, but that would be a bit odd. Didn't want to try and press for a draw, as I wanted to win, or lose so they definitely get auto-promoted. I did try a Bink move, a WTM and IMTW on one side with my two PM trained up wingers.

Game starts and they're taking midfield 53/47%, and they are AOW (divine+1), pretty handy at that then! That made their wings v my defence 50/50, 65/35 in the middle. While my attack were outclassed 42/58% on average. Funnily enough, it's a complete sell out, despite the overcast weather. I'm sure two weeks ago I thought about getting the builders in. But didn't. Hey ho. They have three chances in the first half, but only score one, 0-1 at half time. Still in it, but no reported chances is a bit worrying, and while I try to be positive, there's always a chance etc, but most likely outcome is them moving away in the second half. Sure enough, they scored, then missed, then we sneaked one in on 84'. 1-2, the crowd lifted the roof and there was an impressive sense of urgency to grab an equaliser...for two minutes...then they nailed the coffin shut. 1-3 final score.

To be honest, I think I got away lightly there, chances were 2-9. So I'll take 1-3.

This leaves us five points behind them, they're on 30, us on 25, and three games left. Mathematically possible, but looking at the fixtures, massively unlikely. I'd better start looking over my shoulder now, as third are only on 22 points, though I have a +12 goal diff over them. We are away to them on the last day of the season.

Next week away to 8th, should be easy enough I think, then at home to 6th, then the aforementioned away to 3rd.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 13th, 2017, 10:59 am

Well, that makes it interesting.

I was at home to the league leaders, the monster long shots side. They produced divine+2 flank defences, and divine+4 central defence, and I went with divine +1 central attack and divine right side attack with titanic on the left, kicking off with a similar ET/low midfield although my older players stamina meant they'd have 51% possession over the match.

We had 7 chances to 6 and it was an incredibly tightly fought game ending 4-4. Happily for Tuesday, none of my players were injured, and the only booking I had was to a player not on a yellow already.

This means that the top 3 are now covered by 3pts, and 3rd are away to 1st on Sunday, and I'm away to 3rd the following Sunday. The leaders have two home games left of the 3 fixtures (whereas 2nd and 3rd have just 1), and look very likely to in their away game, so it should be all over bar a bit of obstreperous enunciation. If 3rd could get a result next week, that could create a whiff of opportunity, especially if they were to MoTs in order to do so....

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Good luck in the final Bink.

Last Sunday I had yet another monster opponent in the league. The hatstats he generates in defense are pretty much equal to the hatstats I can generate with my entire team...so it was going to be a case of managing the defeat.

I couldn't see a way past his defense, so played 451 Long Shot - despite never having actually scored a goal using this tactic. It was a toss up between that and Pressing, but I really don't have the stamina for Pressing....

Anyway, I held out until the 82nd minute and then let 2 go in. It did make Sunday night somewhat more interesting, but the result was never really in doubt.

That leaves me in 6th, with 7th getting a useful (for them) draw. Now 4 points ahead of 7th. He plays the bot next week, whereas I face the league leader who has been buying up 34 year old ex NT players in their final push for the league title (or in preparation for D.III)
I'll give 253 Play Creatively a try, just to try something new and to not be predictable.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 15th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Thanks for all the best wishes, I think it might be what tipped the balance in my favour.

Last Thursday morning I dropped TI 22% to push my TS up a level from low delirious so it could drift back to high delirious rather than dropping to content before Sunday. A PIC at home with an ET m/f was then followed up by a utopian m/f on MoTs for the final last night. This was 1.75 levels higher than a PIN would have been.

My initial set up was pretty similar to my semi-final set-up but I figured we'd have 50/50 ball possession, and they had a better team and all things being equal this would lead to a better conversion rate with only the potential for an xp event to take things in my favour and old players stamina issues taking things in their favour.

By posting such strong attack ratings both last week and on Sunday, I'd have been surprised if they'd opted for a CA, so I felt happy to set up with 3xCDO, 1xDF (an IM by trade rather than a typical forward - first time I'd played him as HDF) together with my top scorer in the Cup (he earned his place with 17 goals to get us to the final) as a normal forward. The 2xIMTW+2xWTMs were used as usual. I figured that if they MoTsed their m/f rating from the semi-final would give them 48% at best. My central attack would be about 40% and my side attacks about 45% so as long as I had the bulk of the chances, I figured my worse conversion rate than theirs against my rubbish defence ratings would be less problematic than with an evenly matched m/f.

This time, my calculations were spot on, and I had 5 left side chances, one in the middle and one on the right. The distribution was favourable given my relative attack strength. Converting 3 of the 6 on the flanks was fair enough, but scoring the one in the middle was maybe a bit lucky. They missed a free kick, converted the coin tossed corner-head SE and one normal chance on the flanks.

It's been a long time since Rent Collector won something to bring back to the boards, but after 14 years I have finally delivered the English Cup. I've screwed the pooch on the Premiership trophy in order to do it, but my next two away games were always going to be tricky even with max TS...

:D (Happy Bink)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 16th, 2017, 8:55 am

Bink333 wrote:It's been a long time since Rent Collector won something to bring back to the boards, but after 14 years I have finally delivered the English Cup. I've screwed the pooch on the Premiership trophy in order to do it, but my next two away games were always going to be tricky even with max TS...

Well played sir, well played. :D :D :D

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 16th, 2017, 8:55 am

Bink333 wrote:It's been a long time since Rent Collector won something to bring back to the boards, but after 14 years I have finally delivered the English Cup. I've screwed the pooch on the Premiership trophy in order to do it, but my next two away games were always going to be tricky even with max TS...

Well played sir, well played. :D :D :D

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 16th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Congratulations Bink! Looking forward to the Bink parade with the Cup by bus through the streets of Hattrick Town :D
Hopefully many more cups/premierships to come your way in the next few seasons

Back in IV.....last weekend we (3rd) were at home to 2nd, they had won 1-0 in the reverse fixture.
Had to win, as first were playing 6th and we needed to stay in touch. We went 3-4-3 PIN, won MF 53%/47%, had 9chances to their 5, and came out 5-3 winners. Hatstats of 323, our best this season I think.

Next game is away to 1st, possibly the league decider. We are two points behind, but they have an easier run in. If they MOTS, they will take MF, and we will struggle. If we both PIN, we have a chance. The reverse fixture was 2-2. Have spent a few bob on an ET midfielder to strengthen midfield as my near 38 year old player/coach has dropped to brilliant and well, he isn't quite the code he used to be.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 17th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Well done Bink!

I've never been in a position to have to use the TI trick, but would appreciate understanding how it works:
- Drop the TI before the training update the week before your big game, right? So Thursday morning in your post could have been at any point in the prior week?
- Why 22%? Would 0% be too extreme, and 40% not enough?

TIA
Donut

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 20th, 2017, 9:21 am

You'd have thought playing 8th, even away, would have been a cakewalk. I stuck my team on a PIC and looked at their last home game and thought...hmmm, that looks a bit too close for comfort. Ok, so it's at the end of a week where I've sold two of my midfielders, so I've only got myself to blame for making my team not quite as good as it has been. They've played 5-3-2 the last two games, and 3-5-2 the game before that, so not really sure what to expect, but I thought on a PIN I would edge midfield. So PIN it was, in a 2-5-3 with a Def. forward, an IMTW and two offensive wingers. My usual rather gung ho attack style. They lined up in a 3-4-3 CA. I wasn't expecting that! We were edging midfield though, so that was a good start. Within five minutes we'd both missed a chance, and then they'd scored. We'd pulled it back to 1-1 by halftime. Second half and we both missed another chance each. Was it going to be one of those games? I don't know why, as I usually don't bother, maybe I had more time, but I set a couple of match orders, one CD got replaced by an OCD on 65', and then five minutes later set the other CD to offensive too, this swung possession from 53% to 57%. The next two minutes...we scored twice! Tactical genius! Oh wait, a minute later and they got one back, 2-3. Two minutes later they had a confusion event, but it was still a nervy finish until we popped another one in on 83'. Final score 2-4.

First place gave third a good hammering, so while third are six points behind me, they have a +18 goal difference to make up, we're away to them on the last day, they're 7 points clear of 4th, so both of us doing an end of season may as well MOTS is high probability. First is five points ahead, but are away to 6th and home to 5th, very unlikely they'll slip up in either game. Home and hosed I reckon. They're also four points above the autopromotion line for good measure.

Ian

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 20th, 2017, 10:37 am

Donut102 wrote:Well done Bink!

I've never been in a position to have to use the TI trick, but would appreciate understanding how it works:
- Drop the TI before the training update the week before your big game, right? So Thursday morning in your post could have been at any point in the prior week?
- Why 22%? Would 0% be too extreme, and 40% not enough?

TIA
Donut

As I've been running stamina at 34% (there's a good reason for this too, as it is the maximum to equate with the cap on older players), the original plan I had was to utilise 3x22% drops (ahead of 3 fixtures in the run in) until TI was down to 34% (and stamina at 100% - as I raise stamina pro-rata with the TI drop to ensure it remains at the same level). Dropping TI by much more wouldn't have had too much benefit, as I was already low delirious at the time, and over the remaining daily updates even with a solid coach the drop effect is most exaggerated at the higher levels. Dropping it by much less than 22% would not have had a significant enough effect on my TS. So 22% is the minimum drop I'd consider using, and then only to gain a level above what I'd otherwise expect from a reasonably high starting point.

I'd actually worked out this potential plan before the TI calculator went offline, and decided to stick with what I knew would suit the situation I was in. That all got changed when I decided I had to MoTs on Tuesday, so I'm back at 100% with effect from the Thursday am update (yes you can tinker with it all week and it only becomes set in stone on that update).

I was away from home yesterday to last season's runner up, and opted for a 5-3-2 CA switching to 4-5-1 after 70 minutes (for stamina and formation xp reasons) Lost 4-1, they had 9 chances to 3, including a very late corner-head SE.

Elsewhere, the current Champions were away to the Monster LS team on a MoTs (freed up to do this by my Cup Final MoTs as I'm away to them next week) and lost 3-2. The leaders are now 5pts clear of me with 2 to play (and they should win both). 5th lost at home to 6th, and this result means I'm now mathematically safe from dropping into the qualification places.

So that's this season wrapped up for me, bar a minor scrap over some prize money between 2nd and 4th.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 22nd, 2017, 1:41 am

Season wrapped up for me too, lost 4-1 away to the league leader and that means they are the champs. I will finish 3rd or possibly second.
It didnt help to lose my best defender and captain to injury early on, but I suspect we were going to lose anyway.
Will sell off players early, who were not going to feature next season anyway.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 27th, 2017, 9:44 am

Gosh, I do know how to make what should be easy games look difficult!

At home to 7th? Looked at the ratings, set my best team, looked at the ratings again, thought...no, no PIC. Went for a 3-5-2 with an OCD, DF, and a WTM & IMTW combo. Started the match with 59% possession, honours not even but of similar proportions in attack v defence. Looked like easy street with two unanswered goals after 43'. but they banged a couple in in short order for a 2-2 halftime score. 74' in my ex-England U20 (haven't mentioned that for a while) goalie got injured. Score was still 2-2. His replacement is a "Passable" goalie. Luckily things started going my way and we scored two more, then they got one back for a nervy few final minutes, but all ended well, final score 4-3.

The fickle finger of the match engine pointed at the league leaders this week, somehow contriving a 0-0 draw from what looked like a sure fire away win to me. That leaves me just 3 points behind them, and the small matter of a +13 goal difference for them. For the final game they are at home to 5th who could get 4th but will more than likely lose and prep for a qualifier. 3rd slipped up and so I'm now 9 points ahead of them, and we are away to them next weekend. They are well ahead of 4th. In short, it would need first to throw their game *and* for me to get some luck next weekend for me to win the title. To be honest, it would come at just the wrong time. And it's quite unlikely, so let's move on.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”