Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Paying in cheques by mobile

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Paying in cheques by mobile

Postby BobbyD » November 29th, 2017, 9:17 am

So when can i stop traipsing 20 minutes each way just to bank a cheque?

Barclays seem to be winning the race here, and they are about the one bank I don't have an account with.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Paying in cheques by mobile

Postby jackdaww » November 29th, 2017, 9:29 am

BobbyD wrote:So when can i stop traipsing 20 minutes each way just to bank a cheque?

Barclays seem to be winning the race here, and they are about the one bank I don't have an account with.

=====================

i often just post cheques to my bank but hopefully technology will catch up .

:idea:

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2017, 12:47 pm

BobbyD wrote:So when can i stop traipsing 20 minutes each way just to bank a cheque?

When you get people to pay directly into your account(s)?

Can't remember when I last handled a cheque. In or out.

Slarti

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 29th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Slarti wrote:

Slarti

You probably don't get a nice fat rebate on your mobile phone cotract...

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Slarti wrote:

Slarti

My business gets a cheque most months (client refuses to do online payments) and my window cleaner ONLY accepts cheques.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is "next summer" - from the Cheque and Credit Clearing Company who are running the project:

"To update, at some stage in the summer of 2018, all of the UK’s banks and building societies will clear all cheques via the image-based system to the faster timescale. The precise date as to when this will happen will be announced by the industry in due course."

they also say:

"Our April research found that nearly a quarter of consumers said they wrote cheques to pay a bill by post and 20% said they wrote cheques to pay for a service in the home"

and:

"Cheques are important to a lot of businesses with 57% of them saying they have made payments by cheque in the past year. Out of these, the average number of cheques written per month by businesses was five."

The biggest single user of cheques is the Govt and the most commonly occurring value is £25 (premium bond payouts). Other big users are charities, small businesses (milkman, mobile hairdresser) and companies issuing share dividends.

The roll-out date has gone back many times. The problem is the creaky underlying infrastructure of the banks themselves, they all have different platforms and different problems. Between them they own the CCCC and they don't see why they should fund the project (as well as the central clearing system which will still have to exist) - they were made to by the treasury following a blundering statement or two by George Osbourne, but they have not been committing the resources.

Currently you can do it within one bank - so if you get a Barclays cheque you can use the Barclays app to scan it into your Barclays account. But you can't do it inter-bank. That is what the new project is working on. Barclays do lead the way with their lip-service to this but they are no better than the others when it comes to actually making the changes needed to implement it.

All the details (except my insider knowledge, as above) here: https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/

Mel

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2017, 3:57 pm

BobbyD wrote:You probably don't get a nice fat rebate on your mobile phone cotract...

A) I don't have a contract any more
B) The payback I get either comes directly to my bank account, or is left with my provider to pay for the next year's calls, text & data.

:D

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2017, 4:22 pm

melonfool wrote:My business gets a cheque most months (client refuses to do online payments) and my window cleaner ONLY accepts cheques.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is "next summer" - from the Cheque and Credit Clearing Company who are running the project:

"To update, at some stage in the summer of 2018, all of the UK’s banks and building societies will clear all cheques via the image-based system to the faster timescale. The precise date as to when this will happen will be announced by the industry in due course."

they also say:

"Our April research found that nearly a quarter of consumers said they wrote cheques to pay a bill by post and 20% said they wrote cheques to pay for a service in the home"

and:

"Cheques are important to a lot of businesses with 57% of them saying they have made payments by cheque in the past year. Out of these, the average number of cheques written per month by businesses was five."

The biggest single user of cheques is the Govt and the most commonly occurring value is £25 (premium bond payouts). Other big users are charities, small businesses (milkman, mobile hairdresser) and companies issuing share dividends.

The roll-out date has gone back many times. The problem is the creaky underlying infrastructure of the banks themselves, they all have different platforms and different problems. Between them they own the CCCC and they don't see why they should fund the project (as well as the central clearing system which will still have to exist) - they were made to by the treasury following a blundering statement or two by George Osbourne, but they have not been committing the resources.

Currently you can do it within one bank - so if you get a Barclays cheque you can use the Barclays app to scan it into your Barclays account. But you can't do it inter-bank. That is what the new project is working on. Barclays do lead the way with their lip-service to this but they are no better than the others when it comes to actually making the changes needed to implement it.

All the details (except my insider knowledge, as above) here: https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/

Mel

Five cheques per month isn't exactly a lot.

Compared to 10 or 20 years ago cheque use has been devastated, though I was against the attempts to do away with them altogether.
For the accounting systems that I have installed over the 20 year period, more and more of the clients need reminding that they still need to be able to pay by cheque, with some pretty big ones going back to hand written cheque books rather than having the expense of getting cheques printed to go through the laser printer.

I either pay by electronic payment or cash. No middle ground for me, if I can help it.
And I certainly don't do any banking on my mobile phone as I consider that to be far from secure.

Slarti

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 29th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Slarti wrote:And I certainly don't do any banking on my mobile phone as I consider that to be far from secure.

I'd say it's more secure than, say, online banking from a web browser.

With an app the bank has written and keeps control of both ends of the connection. For example, some banking apps can refuse to run if the phone has been "rooted" as this could open up attack opportunities.

Can you point to any reports of people suffering losses from using mobile phone banking apps?

Scott.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Slarti wrote:
Five cheques per month isn't exactly a lot.

Compared to 10 or 20 years ago cheque use has been devastated, though I was against the attempts to do away with them altogether.
For the accounting systems that I have installed over the 20 year period, more and more of the clients need reminding that they still need to be able to pay by cheque, with some pretty big ones going back to hand written cheque books rather than having the expense of getting cheques printed to go through the laser printer.

I either pay by electronic payment or cash. No middle ground for me, if I can help it.
And I certainly don't do any banking on my mobile phone as I consider that to be far from secure.

Slarti

No-one said it was 'a lot'. You said you couldn't remember when you last got a cheque, I gave some information to show why the banks don't base all their decisions on what you can remember.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 4:50 pm

swill453 wrote:
Slarti wrote:And I certainly don't do any banking on my mobile phone as I consider that to be far from secure.

With an app the bank has written and keeps control of both ends of the connection. For example, some banking apps can refuse to run if the phone has been "rooted" as this could open up attack opportunities.

Can you point to any reports of people suffering losses from using mobile phone banking apps?

Scott.

Yes, all the people I talked to who worked in banking tech seem to think the mobile apps are more secure than the online banking actually.

Mel

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2017, 5:02 pm

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

It didn't get reported other than word of mouth, but a stolen phone allowed wireless payments to be taken.

I work on the assumption that the phone itself is an insecure environment, especially if people are using one of the Chinese ones.
And the amount of people I see who's phones are not locked.

Can you point to any instances of online banking from a browser where people suffered losses?

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2017, 5:07 pm

melonfool wrote:No-one said it was 'a lot'. You said you couldn't remember when you last got a cheque, I gave some information to show why the banks don't base all their decisions on what you can remember.

Wasn't it the banks that wanted to do away with cheques a year or 2 back?

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 29th, 2017, 5:09 pm

melonfool wrote:Yes, all the people I talked to who worked in banking tech seem to think the mobile apps are more secure than the online banking actually.

I only know one person in banking tech and he won't use phone apps for banking, same as the 2 people I know in mobile security.

I suppose it all depends on who you know.

Slarti

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 29th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Slarti wrote:I only know one person in banking tech and he won't use phone apps for banking

I worked in banking tech, downstream (server side) from the mobile apps guys. And I happily use mobile banking apps.

Scott.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Slarti wrote:
melonfool wrote:No-one said it was 'a lot'. You said you couldn't remember when you last got a cheque, I gave some information to show why the banks don't base all their decisions on what you can remember.

Wasn't it the banks that wanted to do away with cheques a year or 2 back?

Slarti

No, The Payments Council announced it out of the blue, the banks didn't know they were going to - and the CEO of CCCC had to give a response to that news. She was not happy!

There was uproar and it was reversed via some small business forum (FSB I think) and an amendment to the Small Business and Enterprise Act or something (not the Finance Act as one would expect) and around that time GO, via the Treasury, said they would digitalise cheques, again without bothering to consult, which is why it is taking so long.

All the people at CCCC were gearing up to cash in their long-awaited redundancy pay and were launched headlong into a massive new project instead. Meanwhile, the FCA and the Payments Regulator were created and threw them into more disarray as all the staff had to be TUPE transferred from Payments UK (not the Payments Council, different org) to CCCC, which was where I came in and was a monumental waste of the banks' time and money (not me, the whole process :) )

Mel

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » November 29th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Lloyds now have a scanning facility in branch to pay in cheques at an ATM.

It read one 3 as a 5, but there are instructions to manually correct any errors and the staff also check after hours.

An APP is promised in 2018 to do the same via a smart phone camera without them receiving the cheque at all.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 8:17 pm

supremetwo wrote:Lloyds now have a scanning facility in branch to pay in cheques at an ATM.

It read one 3 as a 5, but there are instructions to manually correct any errors and the staff also check after hours.

An APP is promised in 2018 to do the same via a smart phone camera without them receiving the cheque at all.

Now? they've had that about three years in most banks.

Yes, the app, that's what this whole thread is about.

Mel

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » November 30th, 2017, 7:07 pm

I recently opened an online account with "B", part of the Clydesdale/Yorkshire Bank.

To pay a cheque into the account you log in to the app on your phone, select the option to pay a cheque into the account, fill in the amount and take a photo of the front and back of the cheque.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 3rd, 2017, 8:11 am

Devjon wrote:I recently opened an online account with "B", part of the Clydesdale/Yorkshire Bank.

To pay a cheque into the account you log in to the app on your phone, select the option to pay a cheque into the account, fill in the amount and take a photo of the front and back of the cheque.

Thanks, will give then a look.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 3rd, 2018, 1:42 am

Halifax are over the line: https://www.halifax.co.uk/aboutonline/d ... -deposits/

Would have been more convenient if they'd given it to BOS first from my point of view as I already run their app.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”