Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Choice of Global Growth IT

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Re: Choice of Global Growth IT

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2018, 11:05 am

I think a robust discussion does no harm but thanks for your comments richfool. I think you are right to choose SMT. I have held it for years (probably about 20 I think) and it has not always been as it is now but overall it has been a wonderful share for me. I also hold Finsbury to plug into Nick Train as I like his style (although probably too pedestrian for Fred)

Good for Trump. As you may know I do not buy into geographically biased ITs and so I have no specific exposure to Europe but obviously many generalists will hold European shares. I saw in my newspaper yesterday that Germany will only reach 1.5% of GDP spending on defence by 2025!

Dod

FredBloggs
Lemon Quarter

Postby FredBloggs » July 11th, 2018, 12:30 pm

@Dod, nope. I have plenty of time time for Nick Train. Though I do not hold any of his portfolios since it would IMO, be too much like Fundsmith which I have a large stake in.

Gadge
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gadge » August 9th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hi Richfool,

As I suggested to you earlier today on GIP thread in investment strategies,
I think Mid Wynd MWY) is well worth a look, if like me you think that a defence is as important as growth right now..

1. MWY have performed well over various time periods against other Global ITs.

2. MWY have zero gearing.

3. They are carefully positioned away from overvalued stocks e.g. consumer staples and FANGS.

Gadge

richfool
Lemon Slice

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2018, 10:21 am

Gadge wrote:Hi Richfool,

As I suggested to you earlier today on GIP thread in investment strategies,
I think Mid Wynd MWY) is well worth a look, if like me you think that a defence is as important as growth right now..

1. MWY have performed well over various time periods against other Global ITs.

2. MWY have zero gearing.

3. They are carefully positioned away from overvalued stocks e.g. consumer staples and FANGS.

Gadge

Hi Gadge, After flirting with SMT (Scottish Mortgage) and Monks, I ended up adding FRCL (Foreign & Colonial) from the Global Growth sector, against the background that it was more broadly based and thus less susceptible to a correction in technology. I already held Witan from that sector.

I then topped up on JPGI (Global Grth & Inc sector), as I am aware that it holds technology stocks and supports a yield of just under 4% (subsidised from capital).

scotia
Lemon Slice

Postby scotia » August 10th, 2018, 10:36 am

I'm into Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) for my bit of excitement - with more mundane ITs as a significant back up.

richfool
Lemon Slice

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2018, 11:44 am

scotia wrote:I'm into Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) for my bit of excitement - with more mundane ITs as a significant back up.

Funny you should mention EWI. I did in fact recently take a piece of EWI in my non sheltered share dealing account, - on the basis that it was targetting small entrepreneurial companies, rather than the big established companies and included a wide range of sectors such as internet software and services, biotechnology, pharmacetical, marketing retail, electronic equipment, healthcare. I thought it would diversify me away from the big tech companies and as you say add a touch of excitement/spice. Definitely a growth trust, with no dividend yield.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”