Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Thailand cave rescue

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
JMN2
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2169
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:21 am
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 302 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152247

Postby JMN2 » July 13th, 2018, 7:20 pm

I don't see what the fuss has been all about, the whole world has gone doolally over a minor event when there are more people dying in catastrophies world wide on a daily basis. I really didn't give a jot either way.

"We are not heroes". What a plonker.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2333
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 624 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152252

Postby bungeejumper » July 13th, 2018, 8:05 pm

JMN2 wrote:I don't see what the fuss has been all about, the whole world has gone doolally over a minor event when there are more people dying in catastrophies world wide on a daily basis. I really didn't give a jot either way.

Your point is strong on logic but short on just about everything else. Are you having a bad day, perchance?

Any time we look at a tragedy, or a daring rescue, we could always choose to take the view that there are a million people a day dying of something or other. Did that stop us from being shocked by the deaths of the seven Columbia astronauts in 1986, or impressed by some historic athletic or sporting event? Or from being spooked by the poisoning of a couple of homeless people in Wiltshire? Yeah, yeah, we'll all be dead some day, so why make a fuss about the fact that twelve kids have had their demise postponed by sixty or seventy years?

The thing about heroism is that it isn't officially heroism until somebody else says it is. It's perfectly appropriate for the rescuer to deny being anything special, and perfectly appropriate for the rest of us to overrule them. This was a cracking job, internationally co-ordinated and properly daring. And 100% successful (give or take one drowned rescuer). What's wrong with rejoicing?

BJ

ap8889
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1387
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:55 am
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152256

Postby ap8889 » July 13th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hope the cave rescue team feature in the honours list asap. Well deserved!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2169
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:21 am
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 302 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152257

Postby JMN2 » July 13th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Not a bad day, quite the opposite, arrived from Scotland refreshed. That story has been gaining momentum for ages now, in the beginning I was almost sure it was a hoax or a wind up. Practically every country and their neighbour had an expert diver there who was running things and advising other divers from other countries. Pure virtue signalling when it comes to one's "feelings", and the Media orchestrating the whole travesty. Look at me! I feel emotional about this! Isn't Trump such a racist and a bad man?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2587
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 604 times
Been thanked: 1376 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152260

Postby Itsallaguess » July 13th, 2018, 8:46 pm

JMN2 wrote:
Pure virtue signalling when it comes to one's "feelings"


Well as I started this thread, I refuse to allow you to try to tell me that it involved virtue signalling of any sort.

In a period where the media try to convince us that a bunch of footballers are classed as heroes, I was happy to raise the profile of a group of people who really were carrying out selfless, brave, and heroic tasks, risking their lives, and in one sad case losing their life, to help save a group of friends trapped underground and running out of food, air, and time.

I'd be happy to read about what you find inspirational, if you could please post a link to where you discuss this.

The phrase 'virtue signalling' sometimes has it's place, but unfortunately it seems to often get hijacked by the cynical to quash all joy out of life....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2489
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152268

Postby XFool » July 13th, 2018, 10:25 pm

JMN2 wrote:Not a bad day, quite the opposite, arrived from Scotland refreshed. That story has been gaining momentum for ages now, in the beginning I was almost sure it was a hoax or a wind up.

Uh? Why on earth would anyone think that? Why did you even entertain such a notion for one second? What on earth would be the point of such an elaborate "hoax"? Do you believe the Moon landings were "a hoax"...

JMN2 wrote:Practically every country and their neighbour had an expert diver there who was running things and advising other divers from other countries. Pure virtue signalling when it comes to one's "feelings", and the Media orchestrating the whole travesty. Look at me! I feel emotional about this!

So, as you were obviously on site in Thailand I guess we can only accept your (somewhat idiosyncratic) judgement of the situation?

JMN2 wrote:Isn't Trump such a racist and a bad man?

Err... possibly so. But what the Womble© has Trump got to do with it?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1506
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 2:22 am
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152271

Postby vrdiver » July 13th, 2018, 11:15 pm

JMN2 wrote:That story has been gaining momentum for ages now

It makes a pleasant change for the media to actually follow up on a story: all too often we will get a headline about some situation, then nothing.
In this case, maybe the media did push the story, but so what? What else did you want to read/watch instead? This was an account of what could have been (and was, for one family) a tragic loss of life, which instead was thwarted, not by government or corporate action, but by a few individuals who put their collective talents and training together and did a job that even specialist forces (think SBS) would have been hard pushed to emulate.

Perhaps, because I dive, this story resonated with me, but even without that shared interest, I think it's a great story: I'd actually like to hear more, maybe a movie or novel? It could be made into a great aquarium attraction or Disney ride too*.

VRD


*OK, the last bit might just be pulling your leg, but if the film does get made, you heard it here first...

zico
Lemon Slice
Posts: 418
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:12 pm
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 187 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152277

Postby zico » July 14th, 2018, 12:22 am

This resonated this people because it's a story about a really difficult problem where a bunch of people got together, cooperated and planned an operation and managed to be completely successful.
People are probably wishing this kind of commitment, ingenuity and success could be applied in other important situations!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2169
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:21 am
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 302 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152281

Postby JMN2 » July 14th, 2018, 7:01 am

XFool wrote:...
Uh? Why on earth would anyone think that? Why did you even entertain such a notion for one second? What on earth would be the point of such an elaborate "hoax"? Do you believe the Moon landings were "a hoax"......


Let's not abandon reason and logic totally, thinking moon landing was a hoax fits a certain profile which includes thinking 9/11 was orchestrated by US government.

Rather, just based on my observations of humanity which usually disappoints. When media was going crazy about the hero who helped victims after Manchester bombing I had my doubts about him, and later the nature of humanity again did not disappoint me.

I take my inspiration from nature and the everyday drudgery of the common man.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2431
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 am
Been thanked: 1130 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152285

Postby Gengulphus » July 14th, 2018, 8:07 am

vrdiver wrote:Perhaps, because I dive, this story resonated with me, but even without that shared interest, I think it's a great story: I'd actually like to hear more, maybe a movie or novel? It could be made into a great aquarium attraction or Disney ride too*.
...
*OK, the last bit might just be pulling your leg, but if the film does get made, you heard it here first...

Coincidentally, I'd read the BBC's extended account https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44791998 just before I read this. From near its end:

"What's next for Mae Sai? The district, and Tham Luang cave, have been put on the global map, probably permanently.

Already, local officials are planning to convert the cave complex into a museum and tourist attraction - and, inevitably, at least two production companies are eyeing the Hollywood potential of the story and angling to turn the rescue mission into a film.
"

Gengulphus

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2587
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 604 times
Been thanked: 1376 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152290

Postby Itsallaguess » July 14th, 2018, 8:43 am

JMN2 wrote:
Rather, just based on my observations of humanity which usually disappoints.


And sometimes it does the complete opposite....

This is one of those occasions, and it's sometimes nice to be reminded that we can be capable of completely selfless, heroic acts.

The world has enough miserable buggers.

Let's celebrate it when we find examples like this.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2624
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:39 pm
Has thanked: 1912 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152301

Postby DiamondEcho » July 14th, 2018, 10:25 am

JMN2 wrote:Rather, just based on my observations of humanity which usually disappoints.


There's an article in today's Telegraph that I think you might enjoy :lol: :
'Cheer up! We may not be in the Final but it's officially the happiest day of the year... here are 14 reasons why'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/ ... 4-reasons/

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2489
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Thailand cave rescue

#152333

Postby XFool » July 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm

JMN2 wrote:
XFool wrote:...
Uh? Why on earth would anyone think that? Why did you even entertain such a notion for one second? What on earth would be the point of such an elaborate "hoax"? Do you believe the Moon landings were "a hoax"......

Let's not abandon reason and logic totally, thinking moon landing was a hoax fits a certain profile which includes thinking 9/11 was orchestrated by US government.

Indeed. I was wondering whether your suspicions were, for some reason, a one off or whether you are 'one of those'... ;)

JMN2 wrote:Rather, just based on my observations of humanity which usually disappoints. When media was going crazy about the hero who helped victims after Manchester bombing I had my doubts about him, and later the nature of humanity again did not disappoint me.

AFAICS there is practically nothing comparable between the two events. One, a homeless individual, who just happened to be there, turned out to have feet of clay. The Thailand situation was entirely different, a long term organised search followed by a very complicated rescue involving a high degree of expertise and organised by a local government official, involving time, many people and a load of supplies.


Return to “Beerpig's Snug”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests