Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Halifax Clarity T&C change - interim manual payments now not accounted for?

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Re: Halifax Clarity T&C change - interim manual payments now not accounted for?

Postby Satsuma » September 13th, 2018, 8:36 am

Loup321 wrote:I've read this thread, although it doesn't apply to me (don't have a Halifax card...).

Today, my American Express direct debit was taken. Just before the last statement my OH hired a van. It was paid for using the Amex card, and a £200 charge also applied to the card (to cover any damage my OH caused). After the statement date, the £200 charge was reversed (no damage was caused). Today, the direct debit for the full amount on the statement was taken, so my account is £53 in credit. It will be back in the red before the next statement is issued, so it's no problem for me.

So, this thread covers how American Express operate their Platinum Cashback Card (and probably many others). I wasn't aware, because I don't often have refunds or make interim payments. Thanks for drawing my attention to this!

Lou

That's interesting Lou. I just checked my August American Express statement - it says this just under the payments box at the top of page 1 (my emphasis). I wonder if they have different policies for different cards?:

The payment specified above will be debited from your bank on the direct debit date shown or shortly after. Please note, this
amount may be adjusted in response to payments or credits received up to four days before your Direct Debit Due date

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Halifax Clarity T&C change - interim manual payments now not accounted for?

Postby melonfool » September 13th, 2018, 9:14 am

I find Amex very odd - I've just closed my Nectar one, but it was always texting telling me payment was due, then on the web page saying it was due last day of the month, then taking the DD around the 19th of the month, but also adding debits/credits from after the statement date to when the DD went.

I found it most confusing to know how much I was due to pay and when.

That wasn't why I closed it though, it had a year fee-free and that year was more or less up, though I had a very good run of Nectar points from it.

Mel

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”