Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Touch screens

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1902
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 528 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Touch screens

#206141

Postby kiloran » March 7th, 2019, 9:28 am

I hired a car at the weekend, the first time I've driven a car with a touch screen, and it confirmed my worst fears. Touch screens are the work of the devil in a car. My eyes spent far too much time trying to touch the appropriate part of the screen, rather than on the road.

In an ever more safety-conscious world, I'm really surprised that there appears to be no legislation to control/minimise this (at least to my knowledge)

--kiloran

Howard
Lemon Slice
Posts: 522
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 283 times

Re: Touch screens

#206179

Postby Howard » March 7th, 2019, 11:12 am

You are right. Mrs H has a VW with a touchscreen and I have to be very disciplined about watching the road when using the Sat Nav, radio etc.

My BMW also has a (better) touchscreen but it also allows control by the BMW "twiddly rotator" which is much better when driving. The touchscreen is only really useful when stationary in a car park waiting for Mrs H to return from Tesco.

regards

Howard

PS Don't go near a Tesla!

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4330
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 409 times
Been thanked: 726 times

Re: Touch screens

#206184

Postby redsturgeon » March 7th, 2019, 11:22 am

The problem I find with touchscreens is when the car goes over a bump a you end up touching the wrong bit of screen. Not cmpatible with UK roads, perhaps OK in Germany.

John

richlist
Lemon Slice
Posts: 434
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:54 pm
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Touch screens

#206197

Postby richlist » March 7th, 2019, 11:49 am

I've never had any problems with them.

I think that if it's a new car or any car you're not familiar with you need to make sure you know how to use it and take care until you become familiar with it.......that's not gonna take very long.

My Range Rover is ok to use, many of the touch screen features are only ever gonna be used when stationary. When moving I am only gonna need radio and sat nav and they are very simple.

What is it you are trying to do on the move that's causing you such a problem ?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1902
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 528 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Re: Touch screens

#206208

Postby kiloran » March 7th, 2019, 12:26 pm

richlist wrote:What is it you are trying to do on the move that's causing you such a problem ?

The only thing I tried was the satnav. There were +/- symbols to change the map zoom level, and a symbol to change the map orientation from heading north to straight-ahead. Trying to stretch over and jab at the right symbol while on the move was difficult to say the least.

My own car has a twiddly knob between the front seats for these functions which allows me to immediately locate it and tweak without taking my eyes off the road (just a quick glance at the screen to see the result of my twiddling)

For my next car purchase, I will instantly dismiss a car which relies upon a touchscreen

--kiloran

richlist
Lemon Slice
Posts: 434
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:54 pm
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Touch screens

#206211

Postby richlist » March 7th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I don't think I have ever needed to access either of those features on the move......surely you operate the sat nav initially while stationary, set the screen to your needs and then follow the map/ instructions once on the move.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3008
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 886 times

Re: Touch screens

#206238

Postby bungeejumper » March 7th, 2019, 2:32 pm

richlist wrote:I don't think I have ever needed to access either of those features on the move......surely you operate the sat nav initially while stationary, set the screen to your needs and then follow the map/ instructions once on the move.

As above. I wouldn't ever touch a screen while my car was in motion, and I wouldn't ever buy a car that required me to do that. I suppose I might twiddle the dashboard knob that turns my sound system's volume up or down? But then again, I'd be better off using the buttons on the steering wheel instead.

That is, if only I could memorise all seventeen of them. :| It seems that, every time I try to hit the mute button, I hit the band selector button instead, and so my stereo switches from Beethoven to the six o'clock news in Albanian, or maybe MegaPump Thumpin' Bass Dance Trance. :shock: And I can't turn it off because there's a truck right on my tail and the radio is suddenly giving me very loud traffic alerts in Welsh.

Anybody else been in that situation?

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4330
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 409 times
Been thanked: 726 times

Re: Touch screens

#206250

Postby redsturgeon » March 7th, 2019, 3:17 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
That is, if only I could memorise all seventeen of them. :| It seems that, every time I try to hit the mute button, I hit the band selector button instead, and so my stereo switches from Beethoven to the six o'clock news in Albanian, or maybe MegaPump Thumpin' Bass Dance Trance. :shock: And I can't turn it off because there's a truck right on my tail and the radio is suddenly giving me very loud traffic alerts in Welsh.

Anybody else been in that situation?

BJ


Yes, for me the problem is that the 17 buttons on my VW steering wheel are completely different to the 17 buttons on my BMW steering wheel and I spend my driving time 50/50 between the two.

John

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1902
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 528 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Re: Touch screens

#206266

Postby kiloran » March 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm

richlist wrote:I don't think I have ever needed to access either of those features on the move......surely you operate the sat nav initially while stationary, set the screen to your needs and then follow the map/ instructions once on the move.

I knew where I was going but there was heavy traffic so switched on the satnav to see the map to see if there was an alternative route I could take. The initial view of the map was zoomed out so far it was of no use, I wanted to see a detailed street-level view.

--kiloran

Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2832
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 610 times
Been thanked: 462 times

Re: Touch screens

#206288

Postby Slarti » March 7th, 2019, 5:28 pm

richlist wrote:I don't think I have ever needed to access either of those features on the move......surely you operate the sat nav initially while stationary, set the screen to your needs and then follow the map/ instructions once on the move.


Frequently get the voice saying "We have found a route that is 30 minutes quicker" and need to touch to accept - this is usually after the ETA has gone up without me noticing.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3008
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 886 times

Re: Touch screens

#206298

Postby bungeejumper » March 7th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Slarti wrote:Frequently get the voice saying "We have found a route that is 30 minutes quicker" and need to touch to accept - this is usually after the ETA has gone up without me noticing.

Fair comment. ISTR that "one touch" acceptances of satnav route diversions are considered okay while in motion. Probably no worse a distraction than lighting up a cigarette or changing a CD. (Not that I do either of those things anyway.) But resetting a satnav location from scratch while wrestling with third gear seems to be considered a mark of manhood among delivery drivers. :(

BJ

sg31
Lemon Slice
Posts: 563
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Touch screens

#206315

Postby sg31 » March 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Slarti wrote:Frequently get the voice saying "We have found a route that is 30 minutes quicker" and need to touch to accept - this is usually after the ETA has gone up without me noticing.

Fair comment. ISTR that "one touch" acceptances of satnav route diversions are considered okay while in motion. Probably no worse a distraction than lighting up a cigarette or changing a CD. (Not that I do either of those things anyway.) But resetting a satnav location from scratch while wrestling with third gear seems to be considered a mark of manhood among delivery drivers. :(

BJ


That only qualifies as manhood if they have a phone clamped to one ear at the same time.

Superwoman status needs all of those and shouting at the kids in the back seat. :lol:

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 334
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Touch screens

#206872

Postby DrFfybes » March 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Yes, for me the problem is that the 17 buttons on my VW steering wheel are completely different to the 17 buttons on my BMW steering wheel and I spend my driving time 50/50 between the two.

John


The buttons on our Maserati steering wheel are identical to those on our 29 year old Toyota.

"Horn".

Perhaps the concept of "steering" wheel got lost when manufacturers realised they could get rid of all those untidy blanked off switches and make a generic dashboard, then simply change the wheel for the different options.

Paul


Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest