Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Walkeia,genou,Anonymous,Fluke,barchid, for Donating to support the site

Need help with the research of the problems that investors facee

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Dmitry666

Need help with the research of the problems that investors facee

Postby Dmitry666 » November 5th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Currently, I’m making a research about the main problems that beginner and amateur investors face starting investing or with their current broker.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.
Will be glad to discuss.

Thanks in advance!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Need help with the research of the problems that investors facee

Postby csearle » November 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Dmitry666 wrote:Hi everyone,

Currently, I’m making a research about the main problems that beginner and amateur investors face starting investing or with their current broker.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.
Will be glad to discuss.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Dmitry, welcome to The Lemon Fool.

I think the fundamental problem is the amateur choosing the strategy to which they are most suited. People have differing aversions to risk. That is quite important to establish when starting out I think.

Regards,
Chris

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter

Postby tjh290633 » November 5th, 2019, 10:02 pm

It's a long time since I was a beginner. I started out with unit trusts, dealing direct with the fund managers (in 1958). Eventually I inherited some shares and bonds from my mother, and any dealing was done through my bank, everything being certificated in those days.

For quite a long time I bought the Investors Chronicle, which provided some ideas and guidance. Then PEPs were introduced and I set about moving my investments into the tax shelter, some in a share PEP and some funds into the manager's PEP for that particular fund.

I think that a beginner has to go down the ISA route for investments outside a pension. What you invest in depends on your philosophy. My suggestion would be to use a global IT as the backbone, branching out into individual shares as you wish. An IT provides diversity, for which you eventually need at least 20 individual shares.

Reading about different investing tactics is invaluable. Newspaper articles tend to be less useful, as they often involve individuals with axes to grind. Questor in the Daily Telegraph may give some ideas worth considering.

Good luck.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 5th, 2019, 10:13 pm

main problems that beginner and amateur investors face

The main problem is usually the person we see in the mirror every morning when shaving/applying makeup (or both ?!)
So-
Accepting that most of us don't have an edge, and planning accordingly.
Knowing your risk tolerance, and managing risk accordingly
Avoiding steep charges, avoidable taxation, fund managers...

Laughton
2 Lemon pips

Postby Laughton » November 5th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Just google what percentage of professional investors and fund managers beat the index or even their benchmark.

Then think about what that means.

Those people are very experienced, are paid a lot of money, have a lot of very clever analysts to rely on and still the vast majority can't beat the market on a consistant basis.

My advice would be to find the cheapest index tracker you can, buy that inside the cheapest ISA wrapper you can find and sleep easier at night.

Of course, if you're a gambler and like the thrill of possibly losing your hard earned, taxed money then try picking individual shares.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”